PDA

View Full Version : guidebook for Marines. 18th edition

wrbones
12-01-02, 11:23 PM
http://www.usmcpress.com/guidebook.htm

price, with some exerpts.

Cynrose
12-02-02, 11:13 AM
Thank you Sgt, I have been looking for one of these. Perfect time for Christmas. :D

wrbones
06-13-03, 09:29 PM
http://www.usmcpress.com/guidebook.htm

GUIDEBOOK FOR MARINES

ISBN: 0-940328-07-0
18th Revised Edition, November 2001
Publisher: Marine Corps Association
Author: The Guidebook Editor, et al; Marine Corps Association
Copyright 2001 Marine Corps Association
443 pages
213 photographs
329 illustrations
Glossary

The Marine Corps issues a GUIDEBOOK FOR MARINES to all new recruits. This "bible" for Marines covers every conceivable facet of a Marine Warrior's life. It's all here: the USMC Battle History, Bayonet Fighting, Close Order Drill, Small Arms, Marksmanship, Combat Tactics. Also covered are Nuclear Warfare, Demolitions and Mines, Code of Conduct, Discipline, Leadership Principles, and much more. Everything from the eleven General Orders to the Marines' Hymn.

-- TABLE OF CONTENTS --
What is the Corps? 1
History and Tradition [28-page history of the Corps] 9
Code of Conduct 38
Law of War 41
Leadership 46
Courtesy and Discipline 52
Insignia of Grade [military rank, all services] 62
General Administration 66
Military Security [guard duty, and more] 76
Drill 86
First Aid 113
Sanitation and Hygiene 137
Physical Fitness [aaahh, yes, P.T.] 141
Clothing and Equipment 161
Small Arms [general information] 188
Service Pistol [M-9 Pistol] 195
M16A2 [M-16 rifle] 213
Marksmanship 226
M240G Machine Gun 254
Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW) [M-249] 260
Bayonet [fighting techniques and training] 273
M203 40mm Grenade Launcher 279
Infantry Battalion Weapons 285
Grenades and Accessories 303
Demolitions and Mine Warfare 213
Basic Communications [radio and wire] 344
Land Navigation 348
Combat Formations and Signals 376
Protective Measures [fighting holes and camouflage] 383
Squad Tactics 386
Individual Movement Techniques and Patrolling 405
NBC Defense [nuclear, biological, & chemical defense] 417
Common Military Terms 433

Go to Printable Order Form

-- BOOK EXCERPTS --

EXCERPT ONE, Copyright 2001 Marine Corps Association: The total effort of the Marine Corps is oriented toward readiness for instant combat and for combat on battlefields of the future.

Marines have long held the expectation of being "first to fight." The close relationship between the Fleet Marine Forces and the U.S. Navy Fleet ensures that ready Marine forces will be on or near the scene when a crisis erupts.

. . . By any standards, Marine training has always been -- and will remain -- tough, realistic, and extremely demanding, a level of training which, experience has proven, is essential to survival in combat. Among the Corps' unchanging priorities is the team concept. Marines fight and train as a team.

The fully integrated air-ground team is the core of the Marine battle ethic, using all weapons and firepower assets available to the combat Marine in a coordinated skillful combination of infantry, armor, anti-armor, artillery, and air power.

EXCERPT TWO, Copyright 2001 Marine Corps Association: At Belleau Wood in June 1918, the Marines of the 4th Brigade fought with such ferocity that the Germans in their official reports referred to them as "tefel-hunden" (devil dogs), a fighting name that increased in popularity with the passing of time.

EXCERPT THREE, Copyright 2001 Marine Corps Association: On the morning of February 19, 1945, hundreds of landing boats roared through the pounding surf to spill thousands of Fourth and Fifth Division Marines onto Iwo's [Iwo Jima's] southern beaches. The Third Marine Division was held in reserve.

During the second day the 28th Marines moved forward to the slope of Mount Suribachi, while the remainder of the Fifth Division and the Fourth Division, wheeling to the north, captured Airfield No. 1 and began the assault on the heavily fortified enemy positions between Airfields 1 and 2.

On the morning of February 23, members of the 2nd Battalion, 28th Marines, were ordered to the top of the Mount Suribachi crater. A 40-man patrol of Company "E" crawled to the lip of the crater and raised the first flag, photographed by Leatherneck Magazine photographer, Technical Sergeant Louis Lowery. Meanwhile a larger flag was procured and a second flag raising was held, which was photographed by Associated Press photographer Joe Rosenthal. The second flag raising photograph was to become the outstanding symbol of America's war effort. Six men were depicted in the Pulitzer Prize-winning photo: five Marines and a Navy corpsman. Three of the Marines were later killed on Iwo Jima, and the corpsman was wounded in later action.

EXCERPT FOUR, Copyright 2001 Marine Corps Association: During your early training you learned the Creed of the United States Marine, My Rifle. In that creed is included a solemn promise to hit, for it is only the hits that count. Every Marine has made the same pledge. Every Marine has been trained as a rifleman, for it is the rifleman who must close with and destroy the enemy.

Each item of equipment in the modern assault force - from the multimillion dollar aircraft carrier to the least expensive radio battery; every highly skilled Marine - from a jet pilot to the operator of a small portable radio - exists to get the Marine rifleman in position to close with and destroy the enemy. Once there, the job done will depend on how well you know your rifle, the care you give it, and the manner in which you use it.

EXCERPT FIVE, Copyright 2001 Marine Corps Association: The rifle and bayonet, in the hands of a Marine, become a deadly combination of spear, club, sword, and shield. At night this combination weapon can kill silently and with surprise. In hand-to-hand fighting, when the rifle cannot be reloaded and the use of grenades would be impractical, it is the decisive weapon. At these times, the aggressive bayonet fighter will win.

The assault is the critical moment of any battle. A vigorous bayonet assault, executed by Marines eager to drive home cold steel, can strike terror into the ranks of the enemy. Skill and confidence in the ability to use the bayonet give a Marine the fortitude to make a bayonet assault.

. . . In developing your skill with the rifle and bayonet, you must master the principles and movements described and illustrated in this chapter. They are not difficult. The Marine Corps system of bayonet fighting is based on natural movements. It can be compared to boxing, since the hands move in the same pattern as a boxer's fists.

EXCERPT SIX, Copyright 2001 Marine Corps Association: Some suggested means for avoiding mines and booby traps are:

Stay off trails, footpaths, cart tracks, or other likely routes of travel as much as possible. Vary routes used to villages and key terrain features. Use of the same route twice is an invitation to the enemy to employ booby traps. Keep the enemy guessing as to which route will be used.

Move where local inhabitants move. These people generally know the location of most mines and booby traps and will avoid these areas. In a village, stay near the villagers and watch the buildings they use. Use native guides whenever possible.

Avoid patterns. Constantly change direction of movement.

Maintain intervals of 15 meters between personnel and 100 meters between Marines and tracked vehicles . . . .

wrbones
06-15-03, 06:35 PM
USMC organisation:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/usmc/to/

most of the info in the Guidebook for Marines, or links to it, is posted elsewhere on this site

wrbones
06-15-03, 08:45 PM
https://www.doctrine.usmc.mil/mcrp/view/mcr4111d/mcr4111d.pdf

Quinbo
10-10-10, 11:49 AM
Dang this is an old thread ;)

Wyoming
10-10-10, 01:50 PM
Careful Robert, Lisa is in the wings, fixing to pounce.:scared:

Go, Lisa, Go!!:bunny:

Quinbo
10-10-10, 02:42 PM
Shameless self promotion on my part. I apologize to all the short dicked pygmies in New Guienea.

I'm pictured in that addition and the subsequent one as well. Aint I cool LOL

Lisa 23
10-10-10, 03:10 PM
Don't worry Bulk, I won't pounce on ya. :beer:

Quinbo
10-10-10, 03:11 PM
Darn it. So close yet so far away.

Wyoming
10-10-10, 04:39 PM
Shameless self promotion on my part. I apologize to all the short dicked pygmies in New Guienea.

I'm pictured in that addition and the subsequent one as well. Aint I cool LOL

Just what I figgered, shameless self promotion. :D