PDA

View Full Version : In their own words

thedrifter
03-12-06, 05:59 AM
In their own words
Families honor their loved ones serving in the armed forces with letters, essays
Editor's note: Today marks the first of a weeklong series of essays and letters from family members of people serving in the armed forces.

We are proud to share that our son, Chief Warrant Officer 2 Charles O. Martinez Jr., a 1989 graduate of Naperville North High School, is serving in Iraq as part of the Military Intelligence Company of the 506th Regimental Combat Team from the 101st Airborne Division based out of Fort Campbell, Ky. The 506th RCT was immortalized in the HBO series "Band of Brothers." They departed for Iraq immediately after Thanksgiving.

Chuck shared with us that although he is very proud to be serving our country, his biggest sacrifice has been leaving his children, Tori and Matthew, during his various deployments.

While volunteering with Operation Support Our Troops, we were able to meet someone from Lt. Gov. Pat Quinn's office.

His office has agreed to send Chuck a flag of the state of Illinois, which he will fly proudly while in Iraq. Our thanks to all the volunteers of Operation Support Our Troops for their hard work and to all the other sons, daughters, wives, husbands, mothers and fathers who serve our country.
Charles and Josie Martinez
Naperville

Postcard from Iraq
Chief Warrant Officer 2 Charles O. Martinez Jr. wrote this article for a company newsletter in January:

Greetings from the HUMINT (Human Intelligence) Platoon! Our tour started a little bit earlier than everyone else due to the fact we actually entered Iraq in early December. This was to get started on our missions and be prepared once the main body of the Brigade entered the country. We have been focused since we first started our relief in place for 2nd Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division. Our platoon has done a great deal in a short amount of time and while most of what we do cannot be talked about in this newsletter, let me be the first to assure you that it has been recognized by the brigade commander. Our soldiers have taken the task set in front of them and started making progress from the very beginning.

To be honest it does not feel like it is already the end of January. Each person in the platoon has made a significant contribution in making the tactical HUMINT teams a success. Our soldiers are putting in long hours but the benefits are already being seen by so many not only in the brigade but also the division. I'm sure by the time we send the next newsletter we will have many more successes to talk about. Keep the care packages and letters coming to us because we love hearing from home.

Take care.

Chief Warrant Officer 2 Charles O. Martinez Jr.
Military Intelligence Company
506th Regimental Combat Team
101st Airborne Division

• • •

Thanks from a grateful Marine

Editor's note: Staff Sgt. Steve Woodham sent this note of appreciation to Operation Support Our Troops on Nov. 29, 2004:

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your care package. I can't begin to tell you how much it is appreciated. Our spirits have been greatly lifted! Since I learned a little about a few of you, I thought you might like to learn a little about where your package ended up.

My name is Steve Woodham, and I am a staff sergeant in the Marines. Like many of the military personnel here in Iraq now, I was called to active duty from the Marine Corps Reserves. But unlike many of our counterparts, I am someone that you might have actually seen before. You see, my other occupation is that of a police officer. Right there in good old Naperville, Ill. I have been activated since April 15, 2003. I am hoping to be home by April 2005. I have a wife, Casey, and 2½ sons. Zachary is 4, Ryan is 1, and we are expecting Jacob to be born in March. This is my second trip to this area since I was activated. I was able to be home with my family for Christmas last year and briefly over the summer before I came back to Iraq for the second time.

If you have ever been to Arizona or New Mexico, then you might have an idea of what the area is like. It is a desert climate, where there are extreme temperature changes between day and night. It is nothing compared to how cold it gets back home, but when the temperature drops 40 degrees at night, you still get cold. You may have heard about the city of Fallujah in the news. That is where I am. It is located to the west of Baghdad, near the Euphrates River.

The situation here is still tenuous, but the Marines, sailors and soldiers that are working with me here in Fallujah are all a bunch of class acts. We know that the press isn't that kind back home, and a lot of what we are doing gets unnoticed. I need to tell you that we are not just dropping bombs every day. There is a lot of planning and coordination involved in ... operations, and before we do anything, the people of this country are taken into account. We do not go out looking to blow up schools, churches, hospitals, day-care centers, etc. A lot of what we do is like law enforcement. We watch the bad guys. Build our case. And when the time comes to act, we act. Unfortunately, the people that we are fighting against do not share the same value for human life that we as Americans do. They are bullies that use extortion, intimidation, torture and murder to get what they want. Many of these people are backed by outside organizations that want nothing more than to prevent the Iraqi people from ruling themselves.

You cannot truly understand what conditions the Iraqi people live in until you see them for yourself. The ravages of years of war and oppression have extracted a heavy toll on this country. It is worse than any of the Sally Struthers commercials. I have seen slums that make you want to cry. Children picking through garbage piles for food. No running water. No toilets. No electricity. None of the things that we consider necessities. I think I speak for many of my compatriots when I say that our cause is just, and we need to stay the course, if for no other reason than to give these people the opportunity to work for a better life. We have built schools, opened hospitals, built roads, brought water to the thirsty and fed the hungry. Every night as I lie down to sleep, I thank God for all I have, and I ask for strength to continue. I pray that my actions now may keep my children from having to experience war in the future.

Well, I think that is enough of the soapbox sermon, but I just needed everyone to know that despite what the nightly news reports, there is more going on here than meets the eye. Every time we receive letters and packages from people back home, we are reminded of what we are fighting for, and truly grateful. Each cookie, piece of candy, magazine, box of razors, bag of coffee or whatever is shared and treasured by all. Thank you for your continued support and well wishes.
Respectfully,
Staff Sgt. Steve Woodham
United States Marine Corps
IMEF G-3

Yellow ribbon available
The Naperville Sun has limited quantities of yellow ribbon. If you would like to obtain some of this ribbon for free, visit our office at 1500 W. Ogden Ave. between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Call (630) 416-5200 to check on availability.

Proud despite sacrifices

Ellie