PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here so please don't hurt me!

Josephine
03-11-06, 11:38 PM
Right, now I have your attention. You may gather that I am a brit by now, yes I served within the Royal Navy but our RMs do not allow females in.

So my question is, what is the most common job as a female USMC, what trades are you allowed into and not allowed in to?

Are your fitness tests different to the males?

I find this interesting and to be honest I know jack about the female side of the USMCs! Can you tell :p

Big hi to you all'!

Lorix
03-12-06, 06:03 PM
I'm a female Marine. Most of the mos field's female are in is supply and admin. I'm a field radio operator myself. All mos field's are open to females except combat. I believe all aviation mos's accept women. I'm really short on time.... The only difference is we have to do the flex arm hang, not pull ups, we still have to do crunches, and run 3 miles for time, although we are allowed 3 minutes extention from the male's time, but I've seen women run it in under 17 minutes.

MillRatUSMC
03-12-06, 06:55 PM
First let me extent a Hardy Welcome to Josephine from Great Britain.
I let the ladies of this message board answer your question.
I think Lorix about cover it all, only thing that I might add,
There Women Marines now in Afghanistan and Iraq that go out with patrols in case there's women that need searching.
Here a link to Women marines Association
http://www.womenmarines.org/

Josephine
03-13-06, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the welcome and info!

Just amazes me that there is not much talk on females serving as USMC's and I find it interesting.

I know when I was RN and serving on ship, it was hard at times. The old and bold naval members would always lay into you about females being on bored, but you most probably get my drift lol

I can see why females do not serve with in the RMs, its not an easy course, that I know lol

Cheers!

Lorix
03-15-06, 01:10 PM
Female Marines are trained the same as male Marines. We are required to do everything the males are required to do. In boot camp, we have drill instructors (meaner than the male DI's!), qualify on swim, qualify on the M16A2 (same standards as the males), we climb ropes and crawl through mud. At mct, we train side by side with the males. We are required to throw live grenades, fire and maintain different types of machine guns, hump 5k, 10, and 15k with a full sally pack, same as the males. We train side by side at mos school, same requirements, same requirements in the fleet too.

The main difference is we are not allowed to go into combat, but things happen, and some women do prove themselves in a combat situation. Females go on convoys in Iraq, some are attached to infantry units when they go on raids so we can search female detainees. Anything else you would like to know, just ask.

Static_Sky25
03-19-06, 11:52 PM
has no medical MOS they use Navy Personel :iwo:

recon532002
03-20-06, 08:52 AM
Glad to see more Britts on line Keep coming back anything I can do to help just ask
Semper Fi
RECON:usmc:

IrishSweetheart
04-06-06, 06:33 PM
Female Marines do the same training as the males, we just get more **** about the stuff we do do that is different. Even stuff that is the same. Im the first female airframe mechanic in my unit so it kind of takes a little getting used to for the guys that never had to deal with a girl in their shop

CAS3
04-12-06, 12:18 PM
WELL,WELL, WELL...
Since this post has changed in direction so dramatically, I have decided to close it.
If you would like to keep the "war" going do it through PM's. This is not the place.

greensideout
04-12-06, 08:28 PM
WELL, WELL, WELL...Most all the posts are gone, your's too. :D

IrishSweetheart
04-12-06, 08:31 PM
What "war" was going on?

LivinSoFree
04-13-06, 02:00 PM
Very well- point taken, though I would've liked to see the rest of the replies.

Hocker
04-29-06, 09:49 PM
BAMs are not the same as Male marines.
If that is what you want I suggest you make a request to your regimental commander that you would like to start an all female Bn. and start training like grunts no holds barred you will do everything they do! to serve in Iraqi front lines , kicking in doors , room to room searches and love it. I dont mean to be harsh or direspectful but maybe some one needs a realty check.
And you know what, if they can do it let them fight !

garryh123
04-29-06, 10:53 PM
Josephine----Great song by the Wallflowers.

Lorix
04-29-06, 11:01 PM
I would love to go on the front lines and fight, do some grunt work, they won't let me because I'm a female.

Josephine
05-01-06, 08:06 AM
I always wanted to go on the frontline and I had my chance.

I'd never want to go again, lets just say the memories are bad enough.

However, I would go in favour of females serving on the line, I think they should at least have the chance.

P.s. Josephine is a great song lol

Lorix
05-01-06, 07:32 PM
Agree.

jennifer
05-01-06, 08:53 PM
100% agree... THERE ARE SOME FEMALES OUT THERE ARE TOUGHER THEN SOME MALES... I PERSONALLY AM A STRONG WM... I CAN DO PULLUPS (MALE STYLE)... RUN FASTER THEN A LOT OF MALES... HMMM... CAN HUMP A LOT OF WEIGHT... I GO TO THE GYM EVERYDAY AND DO WEIGHT TRAINING (ON MY OWN AND ON MY OWN TIME)... I THINK FEMALES SHOULD BE ABLE TO GO IN THE FRONTLINES... :mad:
BAMs are not the same as Male marines.
If that is what you want I suggest you make a request to your regimental commander that you would like to start an all female Bn. and start training like grunts no holds barred you will do everything they do! to serve in Iraqi front lines , kicking in doors , room to room searches and love it. I dont mean to be harsh or direspectful but maybe some one needs a realty check.
And you know what, if they can do it let them fight !

Lorix
05-01-06, 08:56 PM
Jennifer, I like your style. I am the same way with the same views. Good to go Marine. :cool:

greensideout
05-01-06, 09:19 PM
100% agree... THERE ARE SOME FEMALES OUT THERE ARE TOUGHER THEN SOME MALES... I PERSONALLY AM A STRONG WM... I CAN DO PULLUPS (MALE STYLE)... RUN FASTER THEN A LOT OF MALES... HMMM... CAN HUMP A LOT OF WEIGHT... I GO TO THE GYM EVERYDAY AND DO WEIGHT TRAINING (ON MY OWN AND ON MY OWN TIME)... I THINK FEMALES SHOULD BE ABLE TO GO IN THE FRONTLINES... :mad:

If you get there you will take on a different view in about 3 seconds! That's if your mind has caught up with your training. Take an extra set of pants.

jennifer
05-01-06, 09:25 PM
THANKS GSO AND LORIX... :D

Lorix
05-01-06, 10:02 PM
Naw, I can take care of myself. Wait and see GSO, wait and see.

jennifer
05-01-06, 10:03 PM
oorah lorix!!

Lorix
05-01-06, 10:19 PM
Thanks Jenn, us females have to stick together. These male Marines never seen a REAL female Marine, REAL female Marines are tough, can hold their own and then some. :evilgrin:

greensideout
05-01-06, 10:51 PM
Naw, I can take care of myself. Wait and see GSO, wait and see.

I'm sure that you can take care of yourself Lorix, guess you missed the point.

jennifer
05-01-06, 11:05 PM
oorah!!!

Lorix
05-01-06, 11:13 PM
Just giving you a hard time GSO, no hard feelings. But yes, I can carry myself, outdo male Marines in the process. That's the great thing about the males, a female can get beat and not feel bad, but a male getting beat by a female, that does some psychological damage. :)

jennifer
05-01-06, 11:33 PM
psychological damage... yes...

outlaw3179
05-02-06, 01:19 AM
lol..you girls are cute.......but seriously...

hrscowboy
05-02-06, 04:13 AM
nope we dont need no prefume smellin female on the frontline so that every iraqi can know where our positions are, thats the buttom line..

Marine84
05-02-06, 11:03 AM
AMEN! Sorry girls - I AM a WM and I whole heartedly agree with the guys on this one. You youngsters have no freakin' clue as to how deep in $hit your a$$e$ would be on a frontline. You're all motivated and that's a good thing but when push comes to shove..............you wouldn't make it long. You would be looking for the fastest way out.

You can sit there and talk all this big $hit about how you can beat a few guys doing this and that but you are - if you're beating the guys at anything physical involving heavy $hit, they're LETTING you beat them. DUH! Wake up ya'll! Don't get me wrong, you guys are probably good at whatever it is that you're doing for the Corps but.............don't quit your day job if they ever open up a frontline for women, you'll be wanting it back after a few minutes.

jennifer
05-02-06, 11:06 AM
hmmmm. i understand... thanks :D you guys all do have a point...

Camper51
05-02-06, 11:22 AM
And would you feel the same way while wiping the blood and guts off your face from your buddy next to you who took the shot meant for you??? Front lines is NOT a place for the meek, male or female. You may want to go but after seeing it come alive you would quickly rethink your position and wish you were back home in mommy's arms again cuz the front lines are NOT so f*cking exciting and never will be. You will be ****ting your britches just like every other SOB sitting next to you that is hearing the crack of bullets and smelling cordite in the wind and truly knowing that YOUR name may be on that next bullet or piece of shrapnel flying by.... I know I would rather not have to worry about trying too hard to save some female when I should be doing other things in the heat of battle. It might not be right but that is the way it is, was and always will be....Men will go overboard, and many times in the WRONG way to protect what they percieve as "their" women and wind up putting their own asses, along with their comrades, in a sling.

There I have said it and will accept the flak. No one else said the obvious to the men who are against women in combat at the front lines.

Semper FI

jennifer
05-02-06, 11:43 AM
thanks... and ya i know camper... but i still say there are some females that can do it... lol, heck they were probably born half male... whats the specific name for that?
Men will go overboard, and many times in the WRONG way to protect what they percieve as "their" women and wind up putting their own asses, along with their comrades, in a sling.

There I have said it and will accept the flak. No one else said the obvious to the men who are against women in combat at the front lines.

Semper FI

greensideout
05-02-06, 09:38 PM
thanks... and ya i know camper... but i still say there are some females that can do it... lol, heck they were probably born half male... whats the specific name for that?

According to Webster;

"penis envy n : an unverbalized longing that in psychoanalytic theory is attributed to the female and is based on a desire to be a male"

You asked :banana:

lnwolf40
05-02-06, 10:06 PM
I am a retired female Marine and will have to agree with the Male Marines, the front line is not a place for a woman. I to have carried an 85lb pack on my back and humped many miles. I would not trade my experiences as Marine and no matter how tough you think you are it is not as easy as it sounds to take someone else's life. The memories that you will endure to see fellow Marines dying and in the event you have to take the enemy's life are not things that you will ever forget or will you talk about it. You are young and believe that the part you play not on the front lines but behind them is just as important. America will never allow women to serve on the front lines not that it is more painful or hurtful to have a man come home in a body bag but America will not accept a woman in a body bag. So just suck it up and realize the part you play is an important one.

Lorix
05-02-06, 10:13 PM
So if I were to get a.... (don't know how to say this in proper terms so I'll just say it)... sex change, do you think they would allow me on the front lines? :nerd:

greensideout
05-02-06, 10:18 PM
I am a retired female Marine and will have to agree with the Male Marines, the front line is not a place for a woman. I to have carried an 85lb pack on my back and humped many miles. I would not trade my experiences as Marine and no matter how tough you think you are it is not as easy as it sounds to take someone else's life. The memories that you will endure to see fellow Marines dying and in the event you have to take the enemy's life are not things that you will ever forget or will you talk about it. You are young and believe that the part you play not on the front lines but behind them is just as important. America will never allow women to serve on the front lines not that it is more painful or hurtful to have a man come home in a body bag but America will not accept a woman in a body bag. So just suck it up and realize the part you play is an important one.

That could not have been said better! We "male" Marines very much appreciate the role that Women Marines fulfill in the Marine Corps!

Hocker
05-02-06, 11:01 PM
Female grunts umm. "I can hump 30 k's with 90lbs pack" OK good for you.
90lbs ain't squat ,I can run 30 k's with a 90lbs pack(at a good pace), lets add a 81mm base plate , the tubes , 60mm mortar tubes and plate, ammo rounds, M60 with ammo cans and extra barrels M-54 dragon (javelin) law rockets m249 with ammo pouches, water 5 gal. containers, extra food, hump the s h i t 30 klicks then fight , I'm going to tell you your dick is dragin dirt big time.

The word Grunt has a real meaning grrruuntt. Eat your MRE with that nice choco bar with pectin (parifin wax) keeps you regular to about 1 s h i t every 5 days you eat has much as you can because craping is something you dont want to be doing, and when you do **** its in your f'n pants no latrine you **** and **** right in your marine green trousers.
I wont get into to the other stuff cause its down right nasty ,its hot ,its always hot as a mother f'er, and your always thirsty and hungry.
Thats why I said if you BAM's wanna start a all female grunt Bn. go for its about time .
We have a word for it it called "cannon fodder" you can burn their ammo up for us ,cook off their barrels:iwo: Sempir Fi

Lorix
05-02-06, 11:39 PM
I (dis)agree! I have not been given the opportunity to hump 30 k w/ 90 lbs pack. The most I had to hump was a 15k at MCT (a lot of other humps too), that one I did with a full Sally pack (all my cammies, all my skivvies, extra pair of boots, kevlar, M16A2, everything down to my toothbrush and baby wipes. I was told the average pack weighed 110 lbs, but overpacked like mine was (I purposely overpacked to prove that it was possible for a female to do it), it weighed more than that. Plus we did it in a hurricane, I rained the whole time, everything was soaked (which increased the weight of the pack even more), and I don't mean sprinkling, I mean rain, my boots didn't dry out for days. Some points we were going through mud knee deep, had to pull a few of us out of that. Now that it's over, I made it and I am proud. Didn't need any help, I could do it myself. Do not underestimate the strength of a female Marine, of a REAL female Marine. I would gladly do whatever distance whatever weight, anytime anywhere if it would prove to you it is possible for a female Marine to achieve whatever standards you have in place.

I would never complain, no matter how bad it hurt. I am the type of woman that will never ask a male for help. I am very independant, I don't need a male to help me through a hump or whatever the case maybe.

As far as MRE's go, I think they're pretty good. So what if I can't take a sh!t in awhile, sounds good to me. And I have basic knowledge on how to properly disemble a M240G and the M2 .50 cal, and change the barrel, I can do it all by myself. I have fired them, I know how to operate them and would surprise you.

I am not a woman of words, I am a woman of action. I agree, female infantry battalion. Either we would get the easy stuff because of the "political incorrectness" of it, or the really hard stuff to make us "quit" show that it is the job of a male. It's going to be years, probably decades before females are allowed in the infantry.

hrscowboy
05-03-06, 02:41 AM
yep PFC Lorix you said it, It will be years upon years before women will allowed in the infantry and by that time you are going to be a real old woman..

Wyoming
05-03-06, 07:40 AM
So if I were to get a.... (don't know how to say this in proper terms so I'll just say it)... sex change, do you think they would allow me on the front lines? :nerd:

Jeez, is there an argument coming out of you EACH time you open your mouth?

Marine84
05-03-06, 08:12 AM
Yes it is Big Al - she just slapped ME in the face with that "REAL" female Marine crap that she's spurtin' out the side of her neck AGAIN! Get a sex change Lorix - the only problem you'll have then will be whether to see a GYN or a proctologist.

Inwolf40 - don't you feel like you just got slapped?

CAS3
05-03-06, 08:16 AM
MEN AND WOMEN MARINES...
Please keep this forum for women Marine issues.
If you would like to debate the women in combat issue, call your congressman or go to the duty hut on this site.
Thank you,
Colleen

BigCat1
05-03-06, 08:54 AM
Jennifer....just look at your own quote "WARS MAY BE FOUGHT WITH WEAPONS BUT THEY ARE WON BY MEN" Being a former combat Marine myself, let me tell you young lady....Women have NO PLACE in combat. NONE!!!

goat
05-03-06, 09:50 PM
Josephine,
I have every confidance in your commitment to become one of the few. Please keep me posted of your progress. Welcome aboard!

CAS3
05-04-06, 07:46 AM
AGAIN,
I have asked that you keep this forum for women Marine issues.
All posts have been moved to:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29406

Please do not use this forum for your s h i t .
Colleen

lnwolf40
05-05-06, 01:57 PM
Yes it is Big Al - she just slapped ME in the face with that "REAL" female Marine crap that she's spurtin' out the side of her neck AGAIN! Get a sex change Lorix - the only problem you'll have then will be whether to see a GYN or a proctologist.

Inwolf40 - don't you feel like you just got slapped? It is okay I don't feel bad. Young Marine without enough life experience or Marine Corps experience to understand exactly what she wants. Only hope is that she grows up and gets a clue.

SgtDBrownRet
05-05-06, 06:39 PM
Lorix,

All I have to say is you can do all that now, but you will pay for it later. I found out the hard way that a female's body is just not built for some of that stuff. Started off rough and tough, now I'm all broke the f**k up taking shots every two weeks just to ease the pain. All I can say is take care of your body, you are going to need it much longer than the Corps will need you.

CAS3
05-06-06, 10:15 AM
SGT Brown,
Welcome. I am very sorry to hear about your disabilities. I see as an NSO you should be getting all the benefits the VA has to offer.
SemperFi,
Colleen