PDA

View Full Version : Poem - Yes I said Poem - brace up!

Rob Parry
12-01-02, 10:47 AM
Hi, I'm new to this impressive site, I wonder if you could help me please. In common with a few other members of 'Once a Marine - Always a Marine', the UK version of this site, I'm compiling a book of our tales, history and quotes. The proceeds from the book will go to assist those of our comrades who suffer with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). James Schmidt wrote a great poem that caught my attention recently, 'Merry Christmas My Friend'. I'd like to use it in the book and consequently need to contact him to receive approval. Any help locating James would be greatly appreciated.

-CPL. James M. Schmidt, former U.S. Marine scout/sniper,
Marine Barracks 8th & I, Washington, D.C.
First published in "Leatherneck Magazine", December 1991

wrbones
12-01-02, 12:02 PM
http://www.bearsystems.com/poems/XmasPoem.html

If leatherneck magazine doesn't know how to contact him, maybe these folks will pass on yer message.

schmidt
09-04-06, 02:09 PM
In response to your search request, I am the author of the poem "Merry Christmas My Friend." My name is James Schmidt and I can be reached directly via email at: strategicdefense@hotmail.com

MillRatUSMC
09-04-06, 03:25 PM
My fellow Marine From across the seas, who brothers in arms are now fighting a common foe.
I'm interested in the term "brace up", I found several things on a search;

1. Nautical To turn (the yards of a ship) by the braces.

2.v.intr.
To get ready; make preparations.

3. Phrasal Verb:
brace up
To summon one's strength or endurance.

Might it also be what we call come to Attention.
Seeing that we both have some ties to sea duty, I would think it was nautical nature.

To CPL. James M. Schmidt USMC, that one great poem, thank you for a job well done.

Its sad that our brothers and sisters in the case of the Marine Corps that I served in, are coming back to suffer PTSD.
But thanks God that now they have an idea and guidelines on how to treat it.

dougstratton
09-07-06, 08:41 AM
James: Great poem. Brought a lump to my throat.

Rob: Best of luck with your work for the PTSD sufferers. I'm UK-based too (and from an Army family) so I may well visit your site soon.

Good luck to you both.