PDA

View Full Version : Question for MPs

jenjen
03-11-06, 09:20 AM
ok, so my husband is definitely going to enlist, he just can't decide to go reserve or active. his ultimate goal is to be a cop, whether its military or civilian. recruiter told him he can go reserve, and be a "regular" cop, and that it will be easy to get hired by pretty much any police force in the nation once he's a marine. OR he can go active and be an MP. recruiter said that the MPs pretty much do everything the civ. police do...hubby is a really gung ho type of guy, so is being an MP going to be "exciting" enough? i know he loves all that excitement junk from watching cops all the time...
i know active duty is better for our family due to benefits and all...i guess i'm just asking if current MPs like their jobs? he cant exactly do a ride-along with the MPs like he can with the civ. polics...

thanks in advance!
jennifer

marinefamily5
03-11-06, 04:56 PM
first off, how old is he because he can't become a cop until he is 21.....

I will tell you this no matter what your MOS is, you have a step ahead of everyone else just because of your military training. I'm from Ohio and I know that to become a state trooper your guarantee a seat for the test. but yes you do do alot of what a civ cop does but you still have to go to the trooper "bootcamp" like. which in for a Ohio State Trooper is 6 months.

I worked as a MP for my last year in the Corps before i got out the first time. The hours we work, which may be different from base to base i'm not sure, but the hours where 2 days on, 2 days off until you come to the weekends. so say you work Mon and Tues you will have Weds and Thurs off then work Fri, Sat, Sun. then have Mon and Tues off work Weds and Thurs then have Fri, Sat, Sun off......... I hope you understood that. but myself I loved the hours yes you do work LONG hours when you do work but you also have 2 days off during the week to take care of stuff.

If you need anything or have a question about anything just Privite Msg me or something