PDA

View Full Version : Marine helped tame Iraqi bull

thedrifter
03-11-06, 07:42 AM
Marine helped tame Iraqi bull
March 11,2006
JOE MILLER
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Last May, the members of 3rd Battalion, 2nd Marines, fought a hard battle in the name of Iraqi freedom — and under the name of Operation Matador.

To seize a key bridge in Iraq, the platoon led by 1st Lt. Brian Stann endured rocket-propelled grenades, machine gun fire, improvised explosive devices and suicide vehicles from the enemy.

For his heroics, the 25-year-old Marine from Scranton, Pa., received one of the highest medals for valor Friday during a ceremony at Camp Lejeune. Stann received the Silver Star Medal, the military’s third-highest decoration for valor.

“Stann’s platoon held the battle position on the Euphrates River for six days, protecting the Task Force flank and isolating foreign fighters and insurgents north of the river,” according to the citation.

But Stann, a second lieutenant at the time, doesn’t accept the award just for himself.

“It’s about my guys,” he said. “That award just represents what they did, what we did as a platoon.”

What they did was battle foreign fighters and insurgents to secure the bridge north of Karabilah, Iraq, as part of an operation to hunt for insurgents near the Syrian border.

“This bridge was a piece of key terrain and a spot that we knew the enemy heavily defended,” Stann said. “Blocking that (bridge) meant they couldn’t escape.”

The Marines dealt with days of intense fighting. During that first day, a Marine tank struck an IED. Three Marines had to be evacuated from the scene.

Eight of the Marines were hurt in the six days of intense fighting — some serious.

One now has a prosthetic leg. One has already had two brain surgeries.

But none of the 42 Marines in Stann’s platoon died.

“I told my Marines I wasn’t there to be their friend,” he said. “I’m there to make sure they’re ready at all times and accomplish their mission.

“The only medal I care about bringing home is the one that says ‘42 out of 42’ — bringing all those boys back.”

Maj. Gen. Richard Huck, commanding general of the 2nd Marine Division, presented Stann the Silver Star, calling him a strong young leader.

“It’s indicative of your character and will certainly be with him on his record for the rest of his life,” Huck said.

The award ceremony caps off a good week for Stann. The Marine just got married three days ago.

For Stann, there’s no doubt that the U.S. military will continue to prevail as Operation Iraqi Freedom continues.

“These guys over there are nothing compared to a Marine,” he said.

Contact staff writer Joe Miller at jmiller@freedomenc.com or at 353-1171, Ext. 236.