PDA

View Full Version : Marines witness tourney's gift to GIs

thedrifter
03-11-06, 07:26 AM
Marines witness tourney's gift to GIs
Colin Atagi
The Desert Sun
March 11, 2006

Pacific Life Open co-owner Raymond Moore was watching a newscast about a year ago when he saw how much money Marines' families received when their loved ones were wounded or killed in combat.

After seeing how little money the families received, he decided it was time to raise some money and contribute it toward Marines stationed at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms.

"I just thought their benefits and support were so paltry," he said.

Moore set into motion a fundraiser that ultimately contributed $110,000 that was presented Friday to the Armed Services YMCA during the Salute to Heroes ceremony, which the tournament has held for five years before the event's first evening session at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden.

Pvt. David Powers of Missouri was one of eight Twentynine Palms Marines who attended the Pacific Life Open on Friday to watch the ceremony and enjoy some tennis matches.

Eight marines were on hand to witness the festivities.

"We're like, wow, we've never had a trip like that," said Powers, of Missouri, who played tennis in high school.

The 26-year-old had other aspirations connected to Friday's trip to the Tennis Garden.

"I just wanted to see Anna Kournikova, but I was told she would not be here," he said.

Powers and other representatives from Twentynine Palms appreciated the $110,000 contribution, though.

"Our initial reaction was, 'wow,' and what a wonderful gift," said Anita Neu-Fultz, executive director of the Armed Services YMCA.

Moore raised money for the War Casualty Family Assistance Fund by selling 20 tickets at $5,000 each for buyers to watch the tennis tournament from his personal suite. Additional money was raised by selling novelty bracelets.

The tournament's co-owner, Charlie Pasarell, didn't object to the contribution, Moore said.

"It was one of the easiest conversations I had with him," Moore said.

Powers enjoyed conversing with Iraqi residents, but he learned what it was like to be in danger when a missile landed 100 feet away from him one morning.

"That was really scary," he said.

But after coming back from a tour in combat, something like the Pacific Life Open is a real treat, said Brig. Gen. Douglas Stone, commanding general of the Twentynine Palms base.

Rainfall delayed the Marines' arrival, but they got there in time to witness the ceremony.

"Air, sea or land; we'll cross it all," Stone said.

It was the first time Pvt. Jessie Robison of Arkansas had ever been to such an event.

"It's great, it's free and there are a lot of big names out there," said Robison, 18.

Ellie