PDA

View Full Version : Bethel Park schoolchildren give 90-year-old a birthday surprise

thedrifter
03-10-06, 06:41 AM
Bethel Park schoolchildren give 90-year-old a birthday surprise
Thursday, March 09, 2006
By Al Lowe

Even former Marines cry.

Bethel Park crossing guard Nicholas Bohonak was caught by surprise when invited to the gym of Washington Elementary School after completing his duties outside the school three weeks ago.

As he entered the gym, he saw a birthday cake and heard children serenading him with "Happy Birthday." They gave him birthday cards they had made themselves.

"I broke down, to tell you the truth," Mr. Bohonak said. "But it was tears of joy."

He hadn't been thinking that Feb. 10 about his 90th birthday, which fell on Feb. 13.

"He knows all the kids and parents by name," guard supervisor Russ Posch said. "A father couldn't take better care of the kids. He goes an extra mile for all of them."

"If a student isn't there that day, he makes an inquiry at the principal's office. That's how dedicated he is," said Jude Dressler, bus proctor and fourth-grade teacher at Washington.

He became a guard after his wife, Anna, died in 1993. The couple has one daughter, two granddaughters and one-great grandson.

One of those granddaughters, Christina Ollis Angelo, made a poster about guards as a school project at that time and suggested he become one. She was surprised when he showed up at her door in his guard uniform.

Mr. Bohonak spent 20 years in the Marines and served in the Pacific during World War II. He also worked at H.J. Heinz and South Hills Village.

On his actual birthday Mr. Bohonak posted "Thank You" signs on the front and rear of his car.

"I wanted to show my gratitude. I had no greater thrill in my life than when I opened that gym door."

(Al Lowe is a freelance writer.)

Ellie

NoniDoc
12-08-07, 11:39 PM
Nicholas Bohonak, 92 years old, did not show up for work as a crossing guard on Thursday. The school notified police, who found him on his bed. He had apparently passed away the night before. The school knew something was wrong since Nick never missed work without notifying the school. Only a call to duty by the Supreme Commander would prevent Nick from his school duties.

LeonardLawrence
12-09-07, 01:06 AM
Semper Fi, Marine.

I see a new detail keeping God's children safe crossing on Heaven's streets!

rvillac2
12-12-07, 03:08 PM
Semper Fi, Big Brother.
Rest In Peace.

GySgtRet
12-12-07, 03:14 PM
Nicholas Bohonak. Your devoted duty has carried you to the far winds of time.

Semper Fi

Sgt Leprechaun
12-14-07, 02:20 PM
Semper Fi, Sir. Fair winds, following seas, and blue skies as your perform your duty...crossing little ones to St Pete's pearly gates.