PDA

View Full Version : NAS Whidbey Sailors, Marines build Habitat For Humanity home

thedrifter
03-10-06, 06:37 AM
NAS Whidbey Sailors, Marines build Habitat For Humanity home
By Lt. James Galyean
CVWP reporter
Friday, March 10, 2006

Volunteers from Naval Air Station Whidbey Island raised the walls of a brand new house being built by the Whidbey Island Habitat for Humanity on Saturday, Feb. 25.

Despite the cold temperatures, nearly 40 volunteers from many different commands reported to 1492 NW Kathleen Drive in Oak Harbor and kicked off construction by erecting the house frame.

“It’s fun,” said Airman Travis Dillard who works for the Aviation Life Support Division at AIMD Whidbey Island. “I really like the work and it keeps me busy. I think everyone should volunteer a day with Habitat and experience construction for themselves. It’s a great way to give back something to the community by helping people.”

Stephanie Oppor, MWR’s Liberty Program manager agrees. “I found out about Habitat for Humanity and decided it would be great to add it to our community service projects,” she said. “We come out here once a month and this is one of the largest groups yet.”

What motivates these Sailors and Marines to give up a day off to do construction? “They find it gratifying to know they are doing something for the community and today, you can see,” Oppor said. “ow there are walls where earlier there was nothing.”

Glenn Eckard, vice president of North Whidbey Island Chapter, says help from the base is critical to their success.

“This is the eleventh house on the island Habitat has built. All have had help from Sailors and Marines in one way or another,” he said.

The North and South Chapters of Habitat for Humanity, together with their main affiliate, drive Habitat for Humanity of Island County toward their goal of building homes and building futures by providing the security of permanent housing for families in need.

Habitat homes are affordable because they use volunteer labor, in-kind donations and monetary contributions to keep costs down. In this way, families obtain an affordable mortgage.

Partner families have pride of ownership because they help build their own homes. It’s a winning combination.

Want to help? Island County Habitat welcomes your time and talents to help build houses island-wide, serve on committees, and much more. No construction experience is necessary. For more information, please call Habitat for Humanity of Island County at (360) 679-9444.

Ellie