PDA

View Full Version : chance of joining usmc?

03-09-06, 04:11 PM
Was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my chance of getting accepted into the Marines. As of right now I am a depper in the Navy and am having doubts that I have made the wrong decision for my future. I am reluctant on leaving however because of all the hard work it took to get me in and it would probably make joining USMC that much harder if I left Navy dep. At the time of swearing in at MEPS, I didn't even have a GED and had a waiver for minor asthma when I was a kid. I managed to get corpsman because I scored a 60 on the ASVAP. I know I could possibly become a FMF corpsman but I want to BE a marine in all ways not just one. The phyiscal aspect of being a Marine also greatly appeals to me because I have a strong background in sports and my limits have been tested and pushed on a daily basis doing hard manual labor. I can easily pass the SOCFA required of SEAL potentials. Since entering Navy dep I have obtained a GED on my own for personal recognition and to better myself. With all this said what would be my chance to join, how long could this process take, and would I have to reobtain waivers and start from ground zero at MEPS again?

chrisnica
03-09-06, 04:21 PM
Being a poolee I can only tell you to wait until a Marine replies back at this. I currently work at the Hospital Point in MCB Quantico. A Marine Mayor that is stationed there has a really good note infront of his office that goes a little to your question, and it states the following: "If you like the Marines, then be a Marine". Truly, if all you can think about is being a Marine, then go for it, the sky is the limit. You might want to get a hold of LCpl Lake in here, he always has good points to bring up in forums. Semper Fi.

outlaw3179
03-09-06, 04:29 PM
Talk to a recruiter...Theyll be the best bet to answer your questions.

Brooklyn
03-09-06, 04:56 PM
I co-sign Outlaw's post.

There is no one that can answer you other then a recruiter.

One thing for sure, if you want to be a Marine you shouldn't be worried about the hard work that will go to waste from you joining the Navy.

GySgtRet
03-09-06, 05:05 PM
From a recruting aspect you may be a good thing for a recruiter. Frm the Navy recruiter's aspect you would not be a good thing. That recruiter put a lot of work into getting you to qualify. How would you feel. The best thing that you could do would be go to both parties on this to best handle it. lotsa luck.

ssgtt32
03-09-06, 06:17 PM
when i went in, in 84 you are not obligated to any service until you ship, from what i remember,(old age applies) i took the oath three times, meps when in dep, meps when i shipped, and at MCRDSD!

03-09-06, 11:09 PM
I'd like to talk to a recruiter but I dont want to come off like im playing the other branch as in "Oh, we got him in the Navy without a GED and now he wants to join the Marines". Both offices are in the same building and it might cause some tension so I wanted to get some insight first so I could weigh the options and then act. The only reason why I joined the Navy in the first place was for a shot at BUD/s. I tend to plan my future with the negative in mind rather than the positive. Maybe I'm just getting cold feet but I don't like the idea of falling short of my goal by some random technicality or whatever(occurs often in the military) to be a modern day warrior and ending up as a fleet doc. I'd rather be a Marine with a bad MOS than be stuck on a ship. The term "Sailor" invokes no feeling of respect in me like SEAL or Marine does. Some other things that disheartened me about the Navy was hearing from my recruiters: "We fight in the war too but from an air-conditioned unit" and "Marines get deployed X amount of time and never get to see their family, while we work part of the day and then kick back and play playstation". Come on, If I approached you with the prospect of becoming a SEAL would you hit me with that? Anyway, just lookin for advice.:confused: :confused: :confused:

cgkades
03-10-06, 01:16 AM
scary thought: you only need a 60 for a corpsman.....

my opinion: you want to be a Marine then be one, who cares who's "feelings" you hurt. if you are that worried about the recruiters feelings then please join the navy.

Marine84
03-29-06, 03:37 PM
talk to a Marine recruiter - you aren't obligated to the Navy until the day you ship - with the attitude you have you'll only be miserable in the Navy. I'm curious though - if you really wanted to be a Marine, why did you sign up with the Navy?

rktect3j
03-29-06, 05:37 PM
scary thought: you only need a 60 for a corpsman.....

my opinion: you want to be a Marine then be one, who cares who's "feelings" you hurt. if you are that worried about the recruiters feelings then please join the navy.
Different branches of service use different parts of the asvab for your total score. Numbers vary as I remember. A 60 for the Marine corps would put him in the special Marines. A 60 in the Navy may be high for all I know.

rktect3j
03-29-06, 05:41 PM
1178441231231231. Please get a name we can handle here. Rant off.

If you can become a Corpsman I would go with that. As much as I love the Corps and the Marines within it there is nothing like a Corpsman. Do you know how much respect a Corpsman gets from all Marines? Ask around. And as a Corpsman you'll get to do all the cool schitt.

Corpsman rock.

Tallboot
03-30-06, 09:52 AM
My recriuter said they wouldnt take a GED from me, I know you swear at MEPS, but you swear agian later. I dont know how old you are, but if this isnt what you want to do get out of it ... the next 4 years of your life will belong to that. I dont think you have signed any contracts yet, but if you are 17 by law you cant be bound by contract no matter with/without parents signature.

I would ask your recruiter 2 things

1) Would they take your GED .. because they wont take them where live
2) How can i switch over to Marine Corps, and get out of Navy dep.

GunnyM
04-03-06, 01:31 PM
Ethically, another recruiter is not supposed to talk to you. What I would do is call the Marine recruiter (don't give him all of your situation) and ask him if you would be eligible with only a GED. We have to write 95% Tier 1's (high school grads) - the other 5% can be GED holders. That translates into for 1 GED we write, we have to write 19 high school grads to stay within quality standards. If the recruiter tells you he can't put you in...then that would be why. You might have to call several different Marine Corps recruiters to find an office that has the room to write a GED.
Medically - if you were qualified at MEPS, to enlist in the Navy - then you qualify for all services. If your recruiter had to submit what is called a BUMED, then you may not qualify for the Marine Corps, but attempting would not null and void your qualification for the Navy.
In my opinion, Corpsman is a good job. If your recruiter takes care of you, you should take care of him in return and follow through with your commitment - but, you do still have options.

rktect3j
04-04-06, 09:52 AM
Was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my chance of getting accepted into the Marines. As of right now I am a depper in the Navy and am having doubts that I have made the wrong decision for my future. I am reluctant on leaving however because of all the hard work it took to get me in and it would probably make joining USMC that much harder if I left Navy dep. At the time of swearing in at MEPS, I didn't even have a GED and had a waiver for minor asthma when I was a kid. I managed to get corpsman because I scored a 60 on the ASVAP. I know I could possibly become a FMF corpsman but I want to BE a marine in all ways not just one. The phyiscal aspect of being a Marine also greatly appeals to me because I have a strong background in sports and my limits have been tested and pushed on a daily basis doing hard manual labor. I can easily pass the SOCFA required of SEAL potentials. Since entering Navy dep I have obtained a GED on my own for personal recognition and to better myself. With all this said what would be my chance to join, how long could this process take, and would I have to reobtain waivers and start from ground zero at MEPS again?

I had to go look this one up. You say that you scored a 60 on the asvab. I gave you some leeway on that. Accepted what you told us here. The Navy asvab score needed for becoming (HM) Hospital Corpsman is a 146. A 60 wont get you into the Navy at any job. Maybe you made a mistake. I doubt that the Marines will except you with this score either.

GunnyM
04-04-06, 11:34 AM
I had to go look this one up. You say that you scored a 60 on the asvab. I gave you some leeway on that. Accepted what you told us here. The Navy asvab score needed for becoming (HM) Hospital Corpsman is a 146. A 60 wont get you into the Navy at any job. Maybe you made a mistake. I doubt that the Marines will except you with this score either.

60 is probably his AFQT. AFQT is a combination of his word knowledge, paragraph comprehension, mathematical knowledge, and Arithmetic Reasoning. The AFQT is the same for all services and determines whether or not you can enlist. A 60 is a very good score. The other scores very for each service (they are computed differently for each service). The other scores would determine what jobs you qualify for. If he has a 60, then I am sure he qualifies for quite a few jobs.
The website below will explain the ASVAB and you can look for scores for each service, as far as job scores.
http://usmilitary.about.com/sitesearch.htm?terms=asvab&SUName=usmilitary&TopNode=4477&type=1