PDA

View Full Version : Marines: Two troops did nothing wrong

thedrifter
03-09-06, 01:30 PM
Article published Mar 9, 2006
Marines: Two troops did nothing wrong
By LINDSAY RENICK MAYER
LindsayRenickMayer@coloradoan.com

The uniformed troops who appeared at the Larimer County Republican Party's Lincoln Day Dinner last weekend did not violate military code, said a spokeswoman for the Marine Corps Headquarters' public affairs office.

"I don't think there's any trouble to be had," said the spokeswoman, who declined to give her name, citing protocol. "It's a touchy issue because lots of honorees are being invited to things like this. It's a shame people are trying to turn it into more than that."

Organizations from both parties have been asking military members returning from Iraq and Afghanistan to attend their events to be honored, and the Marine Corps will turn down those requests if the troops are expected to speak, act in an official capacity to assist with the event or endorse a party or candidate, the spokeswoman said.

Strictly being honored at an event, however, is not against regulations, she said.

Officials at the Pentagon deferred to the Marine Corps for a ruling on the appearances.

The Fort Collins Coloradoan ran a photo on Saturday of U.S. Republican Rep. Marilyn Musgrave introducing Marine Sgt. Brandon Forsyth, in uniform, at the organization’s Lincoln Day Dinner on Friday night.

Political writers and bloggers across the nation are accusing Forsyth and the other uniformed Marine at the event of violating a Department of Defense directive that limits their participation in partisan political events while in uniform. Many have pointed to this incident as evidence that the Republican Party is making a collective effort to use U.S. military members as public relations props.

“The thunderous sustained applause (the troops) received was just a way for these people to thank them for all they’ve done for the country,” said Ed Haynes, former chairman of the Larimer County Republican Party, who attended the event. “No politics came up in any conversation I had with them.”

Skip Morgan, a retired Air Force colonel and military law attorney based out of Colorado Springs, agreed that as long as the two Marines did not endorse a candidate or a party, they were not violating any rules or regulations.

John Jones, who served in the military and is chairman of the Larimer County Democratic Party, however, questioned the Marine Corps’ interpretation of the code.

“I would want to know exactly why they think it’s OK, because the military code of justice I read says it’s illegal,” Jones said. “It was inappropriate even for them to be invited to a partisan event. These soldiers fight for American people, not just the Republican Party.”

The Larimer County Republican Party removed the photos of the Marines from their Web site on Monday at the behest of the men, who did not want to be harassed, said Larimer County Republican Party chairwoman Nancy Hunter.

Neither Marine could be reached for comment.

Ellie

003XXMarineDAD
03-09-06, 01:50 PM
I wonder if Rep.Musgrave can not talk to her son that is in the Navy under these rules . The Democrats have lost it here in Colorado if this is the best they can do.

dcgreer
03-09-06, 02:57 PM
We have always been instructed not to appear in any event that was political in nature irrespective of the political party hosting the event simply because we serve the United States of America and its citizens. Politicians love to wrap their arms around soldiers and marines who have fought in conflicts that are none of their doing simply to assuage their guilt for starting them...and then not serving.

I say to them: if you want to fight, join the Marines. Pick up the rifle and fight for your convictions. Don't let someone else do your fighting for you.

That's why we try to keep our honor and integrity clean.

ferg81mm
03-09-06, 04:13 PM
http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/archives/005893.php

http://www.townhall.com/blogs/c-log/BPhillips/story/2005/12/05/177835.html

and there are Results 1 - 10 of about 109,000 for John Kerry: American Soldiers Terrorize Iraqi Children. in google
http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial_s&hl=en&q=John+Kerry%3A+American+Soldiers+Terrorize+Iraqi+ Children&btnG=Google+Search

and this is why they can't get a combat marine to come to an event

SCHIEFFER: All right. Let me shift to another point of view, and it comes from another Democrat, Senator Joe Lieberman of Connecticut. He takes a very different view. He says basically we should stay the course because, he says, real progress is being made. He said this is a war between 27 million Iraqis who want freedom and 10,000 terrorists. He says we're in a watershed transformation. What about that?

Sen. KERRY: Let me--I--first of all, there is so much more that unites Democrats than divides us. And Democrats have much more in common with each other than they do with George Bush's policy right now. Now Joe Lieberman, I believe, also voted for the resolution which said the president needs to make more clear what he's doing and set out benchmarks, and that the policy hasn't been working. We all believe him when you say, `Stay the course.' That's the president's policy, which hasn't been changing, which is a policy of failure. I don't agree with that. But I think what we need to do is recognize what we all agree on, which is you've got to begin to set benchmarks for accomplishment. You've got to begin to transfer authority to the Iraqis. And there is no reason, Bob, that young American soldiers need to be going into the homes of Iraqis in the dead of night, terrorizing kids and children, you know, women, breaking sort of the customs of the--of--the historical customs, religious customs. Whether you like it or not...

SCHIEFFER: Yeah.

Sen. KERRY: ...Iraqis should be doing that. And after all of these two and a half years, with all of the talk of 210,000 people trained, there just is no excuse for not transferring more of that authority.

SCHIEFFER: Well, you're not saying we should stop fighting these insurgents?

Sen. KERRY: Absolutely not. In fact, in my plan, I have said very specifically that we need to keep Special Forces capacity. We need to have the ability to go after hard intelligence. We need to chase down Zarqawi. But we do not need 160,000 troops running around the country as a whole, exposing themselves as they are, feeding the notion of occupation. Let me just emphasize this.

the marine corps may not be able to call the fat lady fat but i can and will