PDA

View Full Version : Band of brothers

thedrifter
03-09-06, 07:57 AM
Band of brothers
Music unites Camp Kinser Marines on, off duty
Cpl. Martin R. Harris

CAMP KINSER (Mar 10, 2006) -- Five Marines stationed on Camp Kinser found common ground in more than just the Marine Corps. Music brought the five together, and it's the intangible qualities the Corps has instilled in each of them that is giving the newly formed band a dedicated following and live-show opportunities.

Each member of the band, Tendency to Fall, is part of 3rd Marine Logistics Group. The band, whose members hale from diverse musical backgrounds, met in late November of last year through mutual friends and a chance meeting at the installation's enlisted club.

According to Lance Cpl. Sean Uriuoli, the band's bassist, every member of the band takes their position very seriously.

"There are times where I want to go out and do things, but the band comes first," Uriuoli said. "I have the best times with these guys, and they all make me a better musician."

According to Cpl. Salvador Madrid, guitarist, the camaraderie between the band members inspires them to become better musicians.

"Before I met these guys, a few months ago, I wasn't playing on the same level," Madrid said. "We push each other past our limits as musicians."

Unity and discipline allow them to use their time in positive ways and to create music, which they consider to be melodic and hardcore with a heavy punk influence, explained Pfc. Mark Sheldon.

"Being in a band takes lots of time," said Sheldon, a guitarist and the band's sound system expert. "We are together seven days a week practicing, writing or just hanging out. For the past month we have been practicing constantly and it has kept us all out of trouble."

The band has quickly learned that a life as aspiring musicians in the Marine Corps isn't easy, explained Lance Cpl. Aaron Cole, lead vocalist.

"One of the obstacles we have to overcome is the Marine Corps schedule," said Cole. "You always work late, deployments, lack of places to practice and mission requirements all slow down the process of making music. We spend tons of money on taxis just to get our equipment to a place to practice."

The band has also poured more than $7,000 in gear and electronics into the band, explained Sheldon, who contributed $4,500 of his own money.

Through all their grit and determination to pound out notes that people will hopefully enjoy, the end result is worth the effort, explained power drummer, Lance Cpl. Steve Wilke.

"I'm passionate about the music we make," Wilke said. "When I play, I feel it. I mouth the words and think about how the beats and guitars mix together to make something unique. We just want people to enjoy our music and feel what we feel."

Ellie