PDA

View Full Version : Wow!

outlaw3179
03-08-06, 05:42 PM
Im a mortgage broker for a company here in Iowa. We hire new people from time to time who seem like they would be pretty good at refinancing home , first purchases and such. Today I had a kid come in the office to talk to me. When he walked in the first thing I noticed was the green digital cammie pants that he was wearing . The second was the nasty ripped up t-shirt and the third was the nasty days growth of fur on his face. WTF!
I asked him if he was a former Marine and he said he was. I asked him all the regular questions you ask posers trying to catch them in a lie, and nope ...this guy really was a Marine. WTF!
Alot of the people here at our shop know Im a Marine. I take great pride in always trying to be squared away, and also I take great pride in how people see former Marines.
What kind of sh*tbird walks into an office hoping for a job in some f*ked up attire like that. How dare he disrespect that uniform. WTF! can someone please answer me this question before I lose my mind. Needless to say I told this sh*tbird to fly away , and to never ever come back .

Osotogary
03-08-06, 09:30 PM
Had a young adult, 21-25, trying to get in to the personnel waiting area after he had gone through some preliminary screening. The doors would not open. I approached him and mentioned that, for security reasons, the double doors remained locked, especially after 9/11, until a member of the human resources staff opened the door and let him in. You know what he said? "It doesn't matter if the door is locked or open, there is nothing that I would want to steal anyway!" Here's the kicker, and man do I ever hate to be a snitch, but when I approached his interviewer, in private, and mentioned what he said she said, " I had no idea. He seemed like such a nice fellow." Now, this young man could very well have been an asset to his employer but you just don't go saying, even in jest, that there is nothing around that would be stealable. WTF? Never saw the young man again. Maybe I'm very sensitive about these matters but I do see a trend that indicates a certain lack of manners among the younger applicants. "Thank you" is virtually non existent from their vocabulary. Something is missing and it is not intelligence, it's more like common sense. Don't blame the teacher all of the time. Sometimes the student does not want to learn and apply squat.

GySgtRet
03-09-06, 05:54 AM
I don't mean to be a bragging dad. But my daughter was raised to have manners. I don't think it has anything to do with a teacher. Oh wait the way I look at it a parent is a teacher, silly me. Society has nothing to do with manners it starts and ends at home.

Wyoming
03-09-06, 06:50 AM

What kind of sh*tbird walks into an office hoping for a job in some f*ked up attire like that. Generally one that is going through the motions.

do see a trend that indicates a certain lack of manners among the younger applicants It is not going to get any better until WE, or some generation, pizzes a fit and does something about it.

Society has nothing to do with manners it starts and ends at home. EXACTLY!!! Both of my kids, and they are older than most on this site, STILL say 'Sir' and call 'adults' by their 1st name, BUT FIRST, by putting a Mr or Ms in front. Kinda makes me swell up.

jryanjack
03-09-06, 07:13 AM
Couldn't agree more Big Al! Most parents today are more concerned with their kids' rights then their behavior. Growing up I had no rights, everything was a privilegde that could (and often times was) be taken away. You can rest assured that my daughter and soon to be arriving son, will not have any rights!

outlaw3179
03-09-06, 08:50 AM
100% True....Ive said this before ...Ive got a boy who is almost 2 and another boy due on Wenesday the 15th. Both of my boys will grow up with respect for authority, manners, and just some damn common decency. You are 100% correct when you say it starts at home. When I was a kid , and I messed up, we didnt hug it out , it was dealt with a smack. And then I didnt do it again.

junker316
03-09-06, 11:59 AM
This is just something I have been noticing for the last few years. Most of the childern of today have more rights and get away with alot more than we did back when we were growing up. I remember when a parent corrected thier child in a supermarket without a second thought and no-one said a word about it. Now if you even raise your voice to youur child in public some other adult want to tel you how to raise your childern in a more positive way. I also remember when not only did you get an arse whooping by your own parents when caught being bad but also from the adult that caught you. Now if another adult or the parent paddles a child then they both need to seek professional help for abuse.

Manners is something that now a days only exists in households where the parents are not tolerant of bad behavior from thier childern. Criminals aren't born with the genetics but learn them from somewhere. Like from parents who tolerate the behavior of being bad and do nothing but sweet talk the child. I know that I don't have the best childern but I can bet that when they are grown that they will remember the awards they got for being good and the punishments they received for being bad. I don't use rewards as hand outs nor do I agree with sparing the rod. Childern learn precise behavior from the home. Then they gather friends and learn other types of behavior. While in school the social behavior and when alone the secluded behavior. But Manners are not instilled in the childern of today in most cases because the parents didn't have it instilled in them.

Either way the point has come clear to me that today's childern are led to believe that the world owes them. I have seen this behavior from adults as well. To end this I would like to add that we have endured so mch growing up that most parents don't want thier own childern to have to endure it also. But they don't include the good things like manners and good appearence and such as a training tool for thier childern as they grow. The child is led to believe that whatever they do is just fine. They are willing to dress with pants that are 01 sizes to big because some famous Rap artists does it, they idolize criminal behavior because of some proformer doing it, they aren't delivered to safety or directed in the right direct to succeed. They are left to trial and error.

Osotogary
03-09-06, 12:46 PM
Instilled is the password, wether in the classroom or at home. Teaching is one thing, teaching and instilling is another. At one time they were the same.

Old Marine
03-09-06, 07:46 PM
Everyone always sees the bad apples of todays youth. The bad apples used to only be about 10%, but has really grown and seems to outnumber the good ones at this time. Everyone knows about the ammendents, but these days the youth of today seems to fall back on whatever they can grasp for.Freedom of speach, freedom of religion, wonder how they got that freedom. When I was a kid my parents were the law and there were no ammendents in my house.

Arlene Horton
03-09-06, 10:11 PM
Considering the fact that both my husband and I are Marines, our kids learned from early on what was expected of them when they were in public. If they created a problem, simply said, no more trips with mom or dad. They did not call adults by their first names, it was always Mr.....or Mrs... It was also expected that they say "yes Ma'am" and "yes, Sir" if the occasion arrived for a positive reply. My older son, Mike, is a former ET1 who spent almost 13 years in the Navy and his wife is a typical Southern Lady. Their two kids are being taught the proper answer to adults. The other six grands and the one great-grandson are also being taught the same. It hasn't hurt any of them and we are very pleased to hear favorable comments from people who have contact with them.

redneck13
03-10-06, 07:13 AM
:no: :evilgrin: I guess if I walked into your damn office, you'd throw me out if you found out I was a Marine, because this bad ass Recon Jarhead, wear's his hair long, I got a beard, wear earrings, and "I NOW HAVE A CHOICE WHETHER OR NOT I WANT TO LOOK LIKE I WANT!!"
"I TAKE GREAT OFFENSE THAT YOU WOULD "JUDGE" A PERSON, ESPECIALLY A MARINE, BY HIS/HER LOOKS"
NOT ALL FORMER ACTIVE MARINES CONTINUE TO BE HIGH AND TIGHT AND LOOK LIKE "WHAT OTHER'S PREFER THEM TO LOOK LIKE!!"
"WHAT IF THIS PERSON WALKED IN, HOMELESS, TRYING TO GET THEMSELVES A JOB, AND THIS IS THE ONLY THING THEY HAD, TO WEAR?"
I feel sorry for you or anyone who would "JUDGE" by the looks.
"IT'S IN THE HEART THAT COUNTS!!"
u

Osotogary
03-10-06, 07:39 AM
There is a flip side to every coin. You made a very good point about a person's appearance.
I'm thinking that there had to more to the story. Was appearance ever discussed amongst the two? I'm thinking that one Marine would want to find out why another Marine would come to an interview not dressed accordingly and I'm hoping that a satisfactory explaination, if one was was offered, would suffice and be mutually understood. Perhaps, and I know that this is all hypothetical, there wasn't a satisfactory explaination thus the negative impression.

redneck13
03-10-06, 08:20 AM
I was always taught by a Dad and Mom good manners. I also taught my children the same.
Tell me if I'm mistaken, the subject was not about manner's, it was about this Marine coming in and looking for a job? I agree with you Ostogary. I would think instead of kicking this Sh***bird he called him out, Marine, why didn't he at least ask him---is there something I can do for you? Nobody know's or has said-made clear- if this was just some person who came in looking for a hand out or was it a person who came in looking for a job not dressed as "what" this person wanted them to be? "Before you attempt to take the speck out of another's eye, remove the board in your's", my Motto of living, or trying to, especially towards a fellow brother Marine. No, I'm not angry with anyone, I'm just upset that someone would treat anyone, especially in the case mentioned, the way they did. It doesn't show any respect that they themselves would require, demand. And to me, it's two faced speaking. "I'M GREAT, YOU'RE LOWER THAN ME!!" Think about it. I'm gone.

outlaw3179
03-10-06, 08:49 AM
Your right ...I should have let this scumbag come into our office , plop himself down on a computer and start giving out loans. Right along side everyone else who dresses appropriatly for the position. Hell why dont I just go down to the local shelter grab a few guys to start refinancing loans.
Sorry not going to happen. If you want to help out the local populus by doing whatever your going to do , be my guest. Feed the needy, Hug owls, save manitees do whatever you want.
The Marine was coming in for an interview as a loan officer. Not the handyman. He came in wearing ripped up digital cammies. A torn up T-shirt, and some dirty azz snearkers. Why the hell would I even consider him for the position. I dont care who it was coming into my office. I would have done the same damn thing. My point is expect alot more from Marines. Every Marine I know that I still associate with , understands that if you go into a job interview , you probably dont go into the damn thing looking like you just got done with a 3 day adventure in the woods.
Excuse me if I have and expect a Marine to have higher standards. Forgive me if I didnt take this guy under my wing. The guy is 22 years old, is not homeless, and seems to able to take care of himself. I guess he fell asleep during that part of bootcamp when they teach you about hygiene, and physical apperance. Hes lucky I didnt jump across the desk and drop kick him right out of my office.

Osotogary
03-10-06, 09:30 AM
Well, as far as I can see, that 22 year old got lucky to even get to your office, outlaw. Most job applicants have to go though almost a maze of secretaries, office assistants, security personnel etc. to even get an interview, especially to become a loan officer. That maze often times filters out some mighty fine applicants who would be an asset to any workplace but, fortunately or unfortunately, alot it has to do with appearance. Ya gotta come in clean. You don't have to be spiffy and GQ but you do have to come in clean.

outlaw3179
03-10-06, 09:59 AM
Thats all Im trying to say Gary. It doesnt matter where you go , but anyone can tell you ..its all about the first appearance. Its an office environment, he or anyone should have know better. I guess my point was that as a Marine ...He....should have known better than to come in like that.
and Wind N face I apologize for going off like that . That was immature and unproffesional of me . My sincerest apologies.

Arlene Horton
03-10-06, 11:58 AM
Sorry if I came on too strong, Wind ' Face. It was only meant to show that we tried to instill in our kids a feeling of self respect. I do have a granddaughter who defies the norm. She wears "ratty" jeans, sneakers and t-shirts with occasionally objectional subject matter. She alternates her hair colors...red, blue, black (during her "Goth" period) and showed up for a job when she was 18 looking like something the cat dragged in. Then she just couldn't understand why she wasn't hired! She dates some of the worst examples of humanity and brings them to our house to meet us. We usually manage to surprise her with our reactions...we are pleasant, friendly and will ask them to share a meal with us. That's the way we are. We don't prejudge anyone, just wait and see what happens. Often we discover that the "scruffy" look is a pose, there is usually a very decent person underneath. No doubt that would be my reaction to seeing you. You have a very sharp mind and no doubt have sensitive feelings beneath that hard exterior! I would be proud to have you visit us and share a meal or two as well as some "sea stories". Semper Fi

redneck13
03-10-06, 04:04 PM
I will not lower myself to such insidious remarks. Sorry your offended. I'm not.

outlaw3179
03-10-06, 04:17 PM
lol..very well...carry on with the plan of the day!

redneck13
03-10-06, 04:34 PM
"I take no offense, no need to apologie's." This is what the "brotherhood" of Marines is all about. We can bounce each other off the walls, LOL, but when it comes down to it, whatever the case might be?
We pick ourselves up, help each other clear the cobwebs, maybe button a shirt/blouse or two, and shake hands. Just don't let nobody else from any other service, or for that matter civilian's, interfere with Jarhead carryin' ons. Semper-Fi to you both, I take no offense. Remember, you all have a right, God given right to speak how you feel. And this is a great place to "git 'r done" cause, it stays at home. God Bless.

outlaw3179
03-10-06, 04:40 PM
Semper Fi Marine ...Ill drink a brew with you anytime brother!

devildog21345
03-10-06, 05:31 PM
outlaw3179
I am a Marine got out in 66 lost everything in a divorce. Lost my job in Sept, 05. All my savings are gone have no money for food this week. Car is broke down. My hair is almost shoulder length. wear blue work clothes. dont shave for two days at a time. good with computers. how about a job if I hitch hike to Iowa.