View Full Version : A proud Senator Bonds with his son

thedrifter
03-08-06, 08:16 AM
A proud Senator Bonds with his son
HuffingtonPost.com
Al Eisele
If you want hear a proud father, just ask Sen. Kit Bond about his
son, Sam.

The younger Bond, a first lieutenant in the Marines, returned home last week after a years service in Fallujah, Iraq, one of the most dangerous places in that war-torn country.

The 25-year-old Princeton graduate and only child was an intelligence officer with a regimental combat team that deployed to Iraq in February 2005. His father, the veteran Republican senator from Missouri, is a member
of the Senate Intelligence Committee.

I'm very proud of him, he's done very well, said Sen. Bond, who met with his son in January during a visit to Iraq and four other countries in the region. Sens. Evan Bayh (D-Ind.), Barack Obama (D-Ill.) and Rep. Harold Ford Jr. (D-Tenn.) were on the same codel.

Shortly before meeting his son in Fallujah, the senator said, five members of his son's unit were killed by a roadside bomb.

Sen. Bond noted that his son took great pains to keep his fellow Marines from learning his father's identity because he didn't want favored treatment.

But a Marine drill sergeant blew his cover just before graduation ceremonies at Camp Lejuene in December, 2004, when he said, I fany body has any VIPs coming to the graduation, like Cadet Bond here, let me know.

Lt. Bond doesn't have his new orders yet, but hopes to be assigned to a scout sniper platoon, his proud father told me.

Ellie