PDA

View Full Version : Memorial reminds us of peace’s price

thedrifter
11-30-02, 10:20 AM
To the editor:

On Wednesday I woke up to a beautiful day — sun shining, skies of blue, temperature of 62. What was supposed to be a visit to the Beirut Memorial out of respect turned into a time to reflect.

I remember that fateful morning when I found out. I was on Camp Geiger giving someone a ride. I had never heard of Beirut, Lebanon, much less know where it was in the world. If someone that day had told me I would visit some 18 years later, I would have laughed in his face. While over there delivering wheelchairs on a humanitarian mission, I saw firsthand the devastation left of a torn city caused by years of unrest.

The images are embedded in my mind. What happened that day is beyond my realm of understanding. When I reflect on the terrorism from that awful day, I think it’s a good thing I live here. I am reminded of how Beirut doesn’t seem so far away now with the events of Sept. 11, 2001, fresh on my mind.

As I sat in the bleachers on Wednesday, I watched military and civilian alike standing shoulder to shoulder, coming together in a community of faith, showing our respect and admiration for our fallen heroes who gave so selflessly on Oct. 23, 1983.

“They Came in Peace” is what is written on the wall. It occurred to me then that peace — much like liberty, justice and freedom — comes with a price that sometimes includes the spilling of blood.

Tears streamed down my face as the audience stood stoically. The active/inactive military saluting and the civilians with their hands placed over their hearts watched the parade of flags go by. Old Glory with her faithful friend, the U.S. Marine Corps colors, by her side waved freely so all could see. The singer sang a song with words like “always faithful, always true the fighting for you is the colors red, white and blue. Then a song was performed about Semper Fidelis — always faithful, the Marine Corps’ motto.

At the end of the ceremony with the placing of the wreaths next to the monument, we heard the blasting of guns to salute our fallen heroes. Taps played in the background as they retired the colors, and it took me to the time of my father’s funeral, the time when they fold the flag taken off the coffin and the bugle sounds as they place it in your lap. Then you realize this is the end of a life that served on foreign shores of distant lands. This is the price that our military pays for me to live in a country that values life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

As Old Glory and her faithful friend departed, I noticed on both sides were Marines carrying guns to symbolize what it takes to protect our values and country. Though I do not own a gun or believe in killing, I certainly am darn glad someone else does. The pride I feel for all those in uniform that make these sacrifices I cannot express adequately or eloquently.

The war on terrorism has been and will be fought on our homefront, make no mistake about that. I pray our civic leaders heed the warnings and use the time and funds available to prepare the warriors (police, firefighters and military) in our hometown to protect all the men, women and children. This needs to be done before there is a tragedy and we end up having to learn from our mistakes where there was inadequate preparation.

Semper Fi, Marines, and God bless America.

Cindy Winstead

Jacksonville

© 2001 Jacksonville Daily News.

Sempers,

Roger

firstsgtmike
11-30-02, 11:46 AM
"Though I do not own a gun or believe in killing, I certainly am darn glad someone else does. "

I'm sorry, but I have a problem understanding that attitude.

Things I cannot do for myself, I'm darn glad someone else can. That's why I pay doctors, mechanics, electricians, plumbers, etc.

But things I don't believe in, I prefer that no one does them, whether it is on my behalf or not.

Somebody needs an attitude adjustment, and I don't think it's me.