PDA

View Full Version : Marine Fulfills Lifelong Dream

thedrifter
03-07-06, 10:18 AM
Cincinnati
Marine Fulfills Lifelong Dream
March 7, 2006, 10:28 AM

Hearts fell last summer when five southwest Ohio Marines from the same company died in a roadside bombing in Iraq.

One young Marine doesn't know how or why he survived that and other attacks on his unit. Now he's back in Cincinnati pursuing his childhood dream.

Tyler Hamlet's picture will be soon be up on the wall at the police academy with the other recruit classes.

He is finally pursing a childhood dream of patrolling Cincinnati streets. After graduating from Glen Este High School, he joined the Marine Reserves, went to training, and then went after that dream again at the University of Cincinnati.

Hamlet says, "Criminal justice degree from UC [with a] minor in foreign language. Might need a little Spanish on the streets."

The streets of Cincinnati had to wait for the dusty roads of Iraq. He left his parents and little sister Jamie behind in 2004, to fight a war with Lima Company 325.

Now, Hamlet's ready to pick up where life in Cincinnati left off.

"I remember saying you can't know where you're going until you remember where you been. It's definitely never forgetting friends. I'm never going to forget," says Hamlet.

Sgt. Tim Tanner says, "We're lucky to have him, because of what he's lived through, because he made it back, number one."

Why did he make it back? Hamlet has just one possible explanation. He says, "God, I don't know why he decided not to let others come back. Everything happens for a reason."

Hamlet said perhaps the reason is to help the people of Cincinnati.

Ellie