PDA

View Full Version : Campus Military Recruiting Law Upheld

GunnyL
03-06-06, 09:42 AM
Campus Military Recruiting Law Upheld

WASHINGTON, March 6, 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(AP / CBS)

Fast Fact

Many universities forbid the participation of recruiters from public agencies and private companies that have discriminatory policies.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(AP) The Supreme Court ruled unanimously Monday that colleges that accept federal money must allow military recruiters on campus, despite university objections to the Pentagon's "don't ask, don't tell" policy on gays.

Justices rejected a free-speech challenge from law school professors who claimed they should not be forced to associate with military recruiters or promote their campus appearances.

Chief Justice John Roberts wrote the decision, which was unanimous.

Law schools had become the latest battleground over the "don't ask, don't tell" policy allowing gay men and women to serve in the military only if they keep their sexual orientation to themselves.

Many universities forbid the participation of recruiters from public agencies and private companies that have discriminatory policies.

Roberts, writing his third decision since joining the court, said there are other less drastic options to protest the policy.

"A military recruiter's mere presence on campus does not violate a law school's right to associate, regardless of how repugnant the law school considers the recruiter's message," he wrote.

The federal law, known as the Solomon Amendment after its first congressional sponsor, mandates that universities give the military the same access as other recruiters or forfeit federal money.

The court heard arguments in the case in December, and justices signaled then that they had little problem with the law.

Roberts filed the only opinion, which was joined by every justice but Samuel Alito. Alito did not participate because he was not on the bench when the case was argued.

"The Solomon Amendment neither limits what law schools may say nor requires them to say anything," Roberts wrote.

The case is Rumsfeld v. Forum for Academic and Institutional Rights, 04-1152.

College leaders have said they could not afford to lose federal help, some $35 billion a year.

©MMVI The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

GunnyL

outlaw3179
03-06-06, 11:19 AM
Take That You Damn Hippies !

yellowwing
03-06-06, 11:57 AM
Would this now apply to the many faith based organizations that are now accepting Federal money to deliver community services? If a church does not agree with a Federal policy, they are still obligated to continue.

Executive Order 2007-43A "All recipients of Federal Aid must have the FDA approved RFID chip implanted for security and identification purposes. Churches administering aid will ensure that such persons will have this chip implanted."

GySgtRet
03-06-06, 12:15 PM
While on recruiting duty in Buffalo New York 80 -83 a public school which happened to be one of my canvasing schools had a policy not to allow military recruiters in at that school. My NCOIC told me that they can't do that because they are getting federal funds. I could not get into the school even though it was a public one. This went on for about a week and the RS got the information, (not from me). Then the district got involved. Well, low and behold when Albany New York got a hold of this information there were apologies flowing from everywhere from that state capital. The school cooperated by giving all of us a list. Of course the list was an old list about 5 years old as I recall. At this point in time that school was known as no cooperative till one day a father. A former Marine wanted to know why recruiters esepcially Marines weren't allowed in the school. He happened to be on the school board. Well all you know what broke loose and we all got complete cooperation from there from that point forward. They were about to loose about 8 million federal dollars by doing the actions as the administration of the school saw fit to dole out. Of course they were wrong, bunch hippy freaks. So I wasted about a year scheduling visits just to have the counselor cancel them for fear of getting fired for scheduling the meeting with me. It wound up be a very well qualified QMA. The feds are not messing around any more the tolerence for this has gone away with the OIF going on these days.

G G Y
03-06-06, 07:07 PM
:yes: Out Marine Corps standing.:banana: