PDA

View Full Version : Reply to Drill Instructor School

redneck13
03-05-06, 02:56 PM
:D :evilgrin: I'm one proud former Marine Corps Drill Instructor and Platoon Commander, from I Co. 3rd Recruit Bn. Because....A brother Drill Instructor from 3rd Bn., did what he did. I would love to be able to shake his hand. Semper-fi Brother.
The Corps has a "brotherhood" like no other service. Then there's the Brotherhood of former Drill Instructor's. (By the Way, Gunny R.Lee Ermy, started the now Drill Instructor Association, on the right, left.
(Note: FYI. Gunny Ermy, didn't retire as a Gysgt, but a SSgt, he was given the "honorary rank" of Gysgt by the Commandant. He also was never a grunt. With all due respect I say this, as he's a brother to me too.) When I went thru D.I. school? It may now not be like going thru bootcamp again. When I went thru, it darn sure was. There was no slack, no allowance for error. You were treated as "recruit's", yet with more respect as you had already proven your salt as a "Marine." In Shaffer's article he posted about this it made me really go back. I can remember the first time, I had maybe 4hrs. on the field with the series, when my Plt. Cmdr., told me to take one squad and teach them one of the rifle drill's. I was shaking. It's a new ball game. I managed after about 10 minute's, regained my composure, and I taught them. I felt like I had just ran 20miles, just from the stress of giving a class on how to properly perform, Present Arm's with an M-14. It got easier. Yes, once you got your spur's out over them shoulder's out of the gate, pulling hard on the rope, you gained confidence. Then the responsibility of being a Plt. Comdr. Not only did you have to take care of the recruit's, also 2-3 Jr. Drill Instructor's. You had to make sure they were doing what you wanted them to be doing. I loved it. I'd go back right now if they'd have me. LOL...Course may have to have someone bring me a chair to sit in, use a megaphone, have me a runner to instruct which recruit, Awe crap, "RECRUIT?" C'mon, grape, @#$%^ LOL...ya'll remember the colorful names, LOL. Well anyhow, to all my "brother/sister" Drill Instructor's, Semper-Fi.