PDA

View Full Version : Stand Up And take It Like An American!

gunnyg
11-29-02, 08:50 AM
(article by Peggy Noonan)

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/797830/posts

leroy8541
11-29-02, 09:13 AM
Good article Gunny G. Reminds me of a c-rat carton that our Sgt. Maj. had framed on the wall of his office he found it under an expired marine in Khe-San I wish I could remember word for word what the marine had written on it, but it pretty much said Freedom has the price on it which the protected will never know! or somthing like that. I wish i could remember exactly what it said or find somone who does.

gunnyg
11-29-02, 09:19 AM
I think I have that C-Rat story stashed away somewhere in my stuff--this one, strangely enough, from the 5thMarDiv cemetery on Iwo.

The above article is good, but, I think it involves a fine line--the Boy Scout example is good, but it involves religion--what would happen if the/a president refused to appoint a general to CMC solely because he was a Jew, black, or Italian, etc.?

"The day the island was finally secured, March 26, 1945, the 5th Marine Divion Marines packed their gear and walked from the northern end of the island to the landing beach area where they would board transports to take them back to their base at Hilo, Hawaii. As They passed the 5thMarDiv cemetery at the base of Suribachi, they passed grave after grave of Marines, some who had been friends and some unknown to them. Hanging on one of the crosses was a C-ration carton bearing this message to his comrades from the Marine who lay in the grave."

"When you go home, tell them all about it and how terrible it really was. And tell them we gave them all of their tomorrows for all our todays."

From the booklet,
TWELVE BRAVE MEN--TWO AMERICAN FLAGS
By Ed Swaney, Lt USNR (Ret)

Note: Leroy8541-may not be the same story you had in mind, but this is what came to my mind as I read your post.

leroy8541
11-29-02, 09:36 AM
I agree this is a fine line to walk, mainly because of lawyers and senseless litigation, i am not a racists nor am I a religious holy- roller and I agree that a person should not be held back because of the color of their skin or for in the way that they worship our lord be they Jewish, Catholic, Muslim, whatever! But this is one nation under GOD And any person who wants to sue another because of their belief Should start the Aetheist Boy Scouts of Americathere he could be a leader!
I have seen for my self there are no Aetheist in a fighting hole!

Bloodstripe
12-01-02, 09:35 AM
Leroy8541

I think the quote you are refering to is......................................

"For those who choose to fight for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know"

This was on last months cover of the Marine Corps Gazette
I tried to pull up the cover on the Gazette web site but it was already updated with this months cover

but anyway here is the web site http://www.mca-marines.org/gazette/gaz.html (http://)

gunnyg
12-01-02, 09:44 AM
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell