View Full Version : Newark man finds calling in Marines

thedrifter
03-05-06, 07:01 AM
Article Last Updated: 3/05/2006 02:46 AM
Newark man finds calling in Marines
Veteran hopes to be deployed to Iraq again
By Eleni Economides, STAFF WRITER
Inside Bay Area

NEWARK — Prince Bustos wasn't sure what he wanted to do with his life. After graduating from Newark Memorial High School, Bustos took some classes at Ohlone College — but it just wasn't working out. The years passed, and Bustos soon found himself working as a security guard in Milpitas' Great Mall.

That was where his life changed one day, when he spotted a Marine Corps recruiter.

"I guess (being in the Marines) was something I always wanted to do," said Bustos, 24, at home on leave from Iraq until he begins a new training cycle March 15. "It was a sign, a calling. I felt a lot of excitement and fear, but I signed up. I had no idea what would happen, and they told us we might see some combat and I was nervous."

After enlisting for the mandatory four years of service, Bustos told his parents.

"I supported him," said Bustos' mom, Liberty Camba. "But I wanted him to join the Navy instead. I think it's safer."

Bustos' father, on the other hand, was opposed to the plan.

"My father didn't think it was a good idea," said Bustos. "But he says he is proud of me. He supports me now."

Then 22, Bustos' journey began with rigorous boot camp training for three months. In July 2005, he was stationed at Camp Pendleton in Southern California, and eventually deployed.

Off on a ship Bustos went — to Hawaii, Australia, Egypt, Kuwait and eventually Iraq. Born and raised in Newark, Bustos had never been out of the country before, but didn't find it hard to adjust overseas.

"I wasn't 18, like most others — I was 22, so it wasn't hard for me to adjust. What was hard to adjust to, though, was how different these people live. It's like biblical times over there — they have nothing."

For the three months Bustos was stationed in Iraq, his parents checked the news about the war every minute.

"I was obsessed," Camba said. "But since he's been home, I haven'tchecked it once. I'm glad he's home and I'm proud."

Bustos doesn't care to share much about his experiences in Iraq.

"People always ask me, 'Did you kill anyone?' and I tell them to go enlist and find out. Sure, I saw some combat, but it's like a rush of adrenaline and then it's over."

One thing Bustos can't forget is the hospitality of the Iraqi people.

"They were very nice to us, inviting us into their homes, cooking for us, making us tea. I'll never forget that."

What has been most difficult for Bustos is adjusting now that he's back at home.

"Everyone looks at you like you're some kind of hero, and I always tell people that I'm not a hero. The real heroes are the ones that are gone," he said.

Would he do it all over again?

"I'm comfortable with the process, but I'm not sure if I'd re-enlist," said Bustos, who recently was promoted to lance corporal. "I would like to eventually become a police officer or a schoolteacher."

The best part about serving his country is the brotherhood, Bustos said.

"There are no females in the infantry, so it's all about the brotherhood. It's the best camaraderie; nothing compares to it. Well, that and all the attention we get from women overseas."

Bustos will be deployed again in December to an unknown location, but he hopes that he can go back to Iraq.

"That's my job," he said. "It's my job to fight, and I hope to do it again. I was told firsthand from the people that I met in Iraq that they were happy we were there. So if I get another chance to do that, I will have gotten everything I wanted to get out of the Marine Corps."

Ellie