PDA

View Full Version : What Would Reagan Do?

thedrifter
03-04-06, 07:19 AM
WHAT WOULD REAGAN DO?
By Richard Reeves
Fri Mar 3, 8:16 PM ET

LOS ANGELES -- "Don't you think that the criticism President Bush is receiving over Iraq is the same as what they were saying about Ronald Reagan and the Soviet Union? Everyone was saying Reagan couldn't pull it off, but he did."

That question, almost word for word, has ended almost all of the conversations I have had with conservative talk show hosts as I criss-crossed the country these past weeks promoting (or defending) my book, "President Reagan: The Triumph of Imagination." It was the last question from Sean Hannity of Fox News' "Hannity and Colmes" on my first day in New York, and it was the last or next-to-last one from Matt Gerson of "Person to Person" last Monday in Phoenix.

My answer was always, "No." If I was feeling good, I'd say that I had not noticed a Mikhail Gorbachev of the Mideast. If I was tired, I'd say Reagan never invaded and occupied Russia or any part of the Soviet Union. If I was pushed, I'd say that Reagan was a remarkably cautious man when it came to using military force. He greatly preferred talking tough to get his way, without a shot being fired.

"Reagan," the name, the icon, the nucleus of modern conservatism, has become the last line of defense for those who still think Iraq is going well. He is for many Americans -- though George W. Bush is not one of them -- still the president, as Franklin D. Roosevelt was president for many liberals for decades after his death.

That Reagan, the one still running the country, is a myth, of course. As was FDR. In life, President Reagan was a man who understood that words are often more effective than deeds, a man who knew when and how to compromise, a man who knew how to ignore provocation, a man who knew how to declare victory. He built up the military, doubled the Pentagon budget and lost fewer than one thousand American fighting men and women in eight years -- the majority of them in accidents -- years in which the United States emerged as the single military, economic and moral superpower in the world.

He made horrendous mistakes in military-political situations, particularly in Lebanon, Iran and Central America, but looking back, he went a long way toward winning the big one, the Cold War, without the use of troops.

Would Reagan go into Iraq expecting to win on the cheap as American soldiers were pelted with flowers and candy? I don't think so. He was a quick-strike guy: fly planes across the world to scare the hell out of Col. Gadhafi in Libya, knock out some Iranian oil platforms, take Grenada (with 19 American deaths) and then get out of there.

The Grenada exercise in 1983 was a Reagan classic. Low military risk, high political gain to remove an annoying little Marxist government. Even then, he wanted to take no chances. When the Joint Chiefs of Staff briefed him on the exercise, he seemed to be listening until at the end of the meeting, he told them to double the number of troops they had planned to use. "Why?" asked the chairman of the chiefs.

"Because if Jimmy Carter had 18 helicopters instead of nine in Desert One" -- the mission to free American hostages in Iran -- "you'd be briefing him now instead of me."

Reagan made mistakes, plenty of them. But he learned from them. His worst foreign policy blunder may have been a reckless aside in a 1983 press conference saying the mission of U.S. Marines in Lebanon, part of a multinational peackekeeping force, was to train the official Lebanese army. Actually, they were there, stationed at the Beirut airport, to keep Muslims and Israelis apart.

The Lebanese army was essentially Christian, enemies of the Shiite Muslims living in the slums around the airport. "America is the enemy" began to blare from the mosques. On the night of Oct. 23, 1983, a suicide bomber drove a truck into the lobby of the Marine barracks, set off a huge explosion and killed 241 Marines.

Reagan's response was to talk tough about staying the course, then "redeploy" the Marines -- safely onto American ships in the Mediterranean. Cut and run.

"What would Reagan have done after 9/11?" That was another regular question. My answer was that he would have focused American resources, not foreign irregulars, to track down Osama bin Laden, as he tracked Gadhafi. Then he would declare victory and get on with life.

Go into Iraq? With half the troops needed? With a shifting, contradictory mission? Maybe. But I doubt it. What was the point? What is the point now? Do what Reagan would have done if he were foolish enough to go in in the first place: Redeploy the troops, cut and run.

Ellie

Phantom Blooper
03-04-06, 07:26 AM
Good article except this reporter has his days and nights mixed up....

America is the enemy" began to blare from the mosques. On the night of Oct. 23, 1983, a suicide bomber drove a truck into the lobby of the Marine barracks, set off a huge explosion and killed 241 Marines.

SUNDAY,OCTOBER 23rd,1983-0620 am

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall :evilgrin:

thedrifter
03-04-06, 07:30 AM
Thanks Chuck for being on top of it....

Still waking up on my end and didn't see that yet....:eek: ;)

More coffee for me:yes:

Ellie

redneck13
03-04-06, 05:37 PM
Ms. Ellie? Thank you for this great article. It cut's right to the heart of what I said or asked. Just like I said about DS-1, Gen. Swartzkoff. Hit 'em hard, fast, put them in lock up's, casualties minimum. What our Idiot politician's did in this conflict, war, police action was, they let the Iraqi Military blend right in with the populace. Most I would suspect were/still Loyal to Sad-damn-insane-whosane. When we should've let the Military do their job and I'm sure they wanted to not treat the populace with kid gloves. They wanted to take all Iraqi combatant's and de-brief them, have people come forward tell us what you know about this one, that one. So we are training their military. They are the good one's who once were a sloppy fighting force. When or if we leave? Ain't nobody foolin' nobody. These people will go right back to doing, killing more, wanting power, it'll end up in a big mess, and King George won't get his victory. Because there's no victory to gain. OIL? Are our troops dieing for that black crap? Russia, people don't realize, has the A#1 Largest Oil fields in the World, not Saudi Arabi. We have people over there training Russian's how to get it out of the ground. I would tell Saudi Arabi, kiss my A*** Oh, now China has more American car's. Japan is growing leaps and bounds, more car's, they are fighting over who gets what oil from whom? We have oil right here in the USA. Enuf to last way past when we're gone. Plus ethanol. GM is making car's that run on 85% of it. I can remember when I had a pick up that ran on LP. Tractor's truck's on LP. A Democracy in a Muslim world? Get real King George. Thanks Ms. Ellie. You are great.

rb1651
03-04-06, 10:55 PM
Amen, wind'nface. Well said.

redneck13
03-05-06, 02:37 PM
Thank you. I can only speak of how I feel about any war. People can't seem to differentiate between what is called a War, police Action, other. War is War. Two different sides, to different people trying to kill each other. Of course the Corps is the best at it. In first, out last.
People in today's fast society don't stop and even take time to celebrate Memorial day like when I was growing up, Veteran's day. I went with my Dad to the cemetary, where we might be living at the time, to put flag's, if none were done as some do now, on Military Hero (all war vets to me are hero's), and we participated in the ceremonies. A lot of war veteran's, combat, non combat, come back to the world, everyone don't see what this person see's, hear's, feels. They think he/she is just fine. When though, like a WWII Pearl Harbor survivor, POW, or just the ol' grunt Pvt is asked later on about his/her war? How many, how many have you seen with tears wellowing up in their eyes? Have they forgotten? Hell no. I have often wondered, if the men/women of our now enemy when this is all over, a big "IF", how will they react? Some come back try to make it in this world, can't. Other's work themselves silly....some drink themselves to death, smoke themselves to death, kill themselves, anything to keep the memories from coming around, or self medicating to keep them down. I hate it for the GW-1, and follow up and Afgan, troops. I know what they will go thru. Nobody, absolutely nobody wins from war. Semper-Fi