PDA

View Full Version : Marines show New Orleans swingin’ good time

thedrifter
03-03-06, 03:04 PM
Marines show New Orleans swingin’ good time
MCAS Cherry Point
Story by Cpl. Lydia M. Davey

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION CHERRY POINT, N.C. (March 3, 2006) -- Raucous crowds, cold beverages and colorful beads were only a part of New Orleans’ Mardi Gras celebration this year, as 31 members of the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing were welcomed in style by an ecstatic city, Feb. 28 and 29.

“We’re so happy to have (the Marines) here,” said Gwyneth James, a Thibodaux, La., native and Mardi Gras regular. “It means a lot to see they’re willing to invest in the city’s future. It brings us hope.”

The 2nd MAW Band and the Marine Wing Headquarters Squadron 2 Color Guard participated in two of the carnival’s largest events: the Proteus and Rex parades – each of which followed a winding six-mile route through the city.

Distance and the Louisiana heat presented a challenge that the band met head-on.

“Our parades are normally about two miles long,” said Gunnery Sgt. Michael Montoya, drum major for the 2nd MAW band. “Two six-mile parades in two days takes a lot of muscle endurance for a musician.”

Montoya, a Mardi Gras veteran, knew some preparation was in order.

“I knew we needed to hit the streets for two, three, four hours at a time,” he said. “During training, the (Marines) were pushed beyond their normal capabilities, but in the end we presented an exceptionally good product for the people of New Orleans.”

Sgt. Rachel Barringer, musician with the 2nd MAW band, agreed.

“(The practice) helped enormously,” she said. “I can’t say it was fun, but it definitely paid off. We kept our concentration and focus and did a great job.”

Barringer, a Mardi Gras newcomer, said that the extent of the festivities for her was participating in the parades.

“I didn’t want to walk a single step more,” she said.

Cheering crowds weren’t the only ones to take notice of the band’s work. Lt. Gen. John W. Bergman, commanding general of Marine Forces Reserve, and Marine Forces North, sent his thanks through Col. James J. Kinnerup, deputy commander of MFR New Orleans, during a special visit with the band.

“General Bergman would like to extend his thanks for your participation in this year’s Mardi Gras,” said Kinnerup. “I saw you marching in the Rex parade yesterday, and I want to say that you represented the Marine Corps as only a Marine Corps Band can.”

Kinnerup also took the opportunity to present challenge coins to Sgt. Justin Lienemann, trumpet player, Cpl. Eric Kyne, saxophone player, and Cpl. Colin Martin, trombone player, in recognition of their superior performance.

“I know it was a tough job,” said Kinnerup. “But, we’re grateful to have you here in New Orleans. Thank you for a job well done.”

During the week following Mardi Gras, as street sweepers and cleaners make their way slowly down Bourbon Street and up along Canal, all signs of this year’s carnival season will be erased. But, the memory of the Marine Corps marching proudly through the city is one that New Orleans and her visitors will not soon forget.

Ellie