PDA

View Full Version : Marines, CIAA reward leadership

thedrifter
03-02-06, 02:25 PM
Marines, CIAA reward leadership
3/2/2006 12:15:47 PM
By: News 14 Carolina

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Charlotte community leaders and local students were honored for their achievements both in the community and the classroom on Wednesday.

For five years running the United States Marine Corps and the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association have recognized those who have showed teamwork, leadership, courage and discipline with the Excellence in Leadership Award.

Maj. Gen. Cornell Wilson, a Charlotte native, said he believes the awards have a positive effect on young people.

they don’t think about as being good leadership tools, but we recognize those for that and give them awards,” Wilson said. “I think they understand that, ‘I’m doing something for the community, I’m recognized for it, this really makes me feel good and I’ll continue to do what I’m doing and impress other people with my skills and talents.’”

Wednesday’s event at the First Ward Recreation Center in uptown was the first time the ceremony was held in Charlotte. It always takes place in the city where the CIAA basketball tournament is held.

Ellie