PDA

View Full Version : Battle-scarred Marines teary-eyed as chief goes

thedrifter
03-01-06, 02:38 PM
Battle-scarred Marines teary-eyed as chief goes
First posted 02:31am (Mla time) Mar 02, 2006
By Fe B. Zamora, Ryan D. Rosauro
Inquirer

CAMPO RANAO, Marawi City – Colonel Ariel Querubin was in tears yesterday when he relinquished his post as commandant of the First Marine Brigade here, an uncertain ending to an exciting, colorful and even charmed career in the Armed Forces.

Battle-scarred sergeants unabashedly wiped their noses as they held back tears and younger, sunburned soldiers bowed their heads as Querubin hugged them.

Marine Brigadier General Benjamin Dolorfino, who presided at the turnover of command from Querubin to Lieutenant Colonel Luisito Marcelino, extolled the bemedalled officer as a "legend," citing his distinguished combat record.

But Dolorfino also reminded the soldiers never to obey "illegal orders" even if it came from him.

"There have been many victims of this in previous coup attempts. You should learn from many lessons in the past," said Dolorfino, who is also head of Task Force Ranao. "If I order you to march to EDSA, do not follow me," he said.

Querubin was relieved of his post Monday after a six-hour standoff at the Marine headquarters in Fort Bonifacio triggered by his protest over the relief of Marine commandant Major General Renato Miranda.

At the height of the standoff, Querubin admitted he had planned to join Brigadier General Danilo Lim in a march with the people on EDSA (Epifanio delos Santos Avenue) on Feb. 24 to mark the anniversary of the People Power Revolution of 1986.

Many unfinished tasks

Trying to hold back tears, Querubin said he was sad and had "mixed feelings" about relinquishing his post which he held for only four and a half months.

"We still have so many unfinished tasks and I still have so many plans and dreams for the brigade, but like a good soldier, I have to follow orders and the chain of command," said Querubin.

Referring to Sunday's incident, he said: "I was after the need to preserve the institutional independence and integrity of our organization."

Querubin said that his fellow Marines "may not fully understand the reasons behind my relief now, but in time it shall be clear to you and I hope you will understand me by then."

Paying price for principles

He said that if his relief was "the price for standing to my principles," he was prepared to face the consequences.

"There is always a point in our career when one experiences a vacuum and finds himself not happy anymore. It is at this point when one has to make a choice of coexisting in pain or leave in order to find meaning in one's life to live by your principles," Querubin said as he broke down in tears.

Neither Dolorfino nor Querubin referred to the events over the weekend as a coup or a mutiny. Dolorfino merely referred to it as "the turn of events in Manila."

"We are confident that Colonel Querubin will be able to clear his name from the accusations. We are looking forward that he will be able to come back and reassume his duty as brigade commander," Dolorfino said.

Marcelino was named acting brigade commander.

Dolorfino blamed "politics" for divisions in the Marines and stressed that the Marines should never be involved in activities at EDSA.

"Our mandate is to protect everybody. If you go to EDSA, you will just be protecting a segment of the population. That is not our mandate," he said.

Also present at the turnover ceremonies were Colonel Ed Ducusin, commander of the 2nd Marine Brigade based in Iligan City, and the commanders of four Marine battalions.

Conspicuously absent was Colonel Juancho Sabban, commander of the 3rd Marine Brigade based in Jolo, Sulu.

Ducusin, however, refused to give a statement, saying a "gag order" was given on Monday.

Respected officer

In his acceptance remarks, Marcelino praised his predecessor as "a very respected officer of the Marine Corps" whom the troops "will miss so much."

Holding back his emotions, Marcelino assured Querubin "we will cultivate what you have planted."

Colonel Emmanuel Salamat, commanding officer of the 8th Marine Battalion, described Querubin as a "strong-willed leader and risk-taker who has very specific command guidance."

"We are really sad because we are losing a very, very good officer," lamented Salamat.

He said the Marines had no inkling of Querubin's actions in Manila, saying they learned about it on TV.

Seemingly belying Querubin's suspected involvement in the foiled coup, Salamat said: "He did not recruit us."

Aguinaldo pep talk

In Camp Aguinaldo yesterday, the Armed Forces top brass gathered 400 junior officers and enlisted personnel at a forum called "Talakayan sa campo" for a pep talk on "loyalty, military discipline and professionalism." The affair was closed to reporters.

"We will remind them that their loyalty is to the Constitution, to the chain of command and to the duly constituted authorities," said Brigadier General Jaime Buenaflor, chief of the AFP Civil Relations Service.

In Zamboanga City, visiting US Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Hill yesterday said that the political problem was an internal Philippine affair.

"It is the business of the Filipino people to resolve these issues," said Hill, who visited the US-funded Computer Literacy and Internet Program in Barangay Talisayan here. With reports from Dona Z. Pazzibugan in Manila; Julie S. Alipala, Grace Cantal-Albasin and Franklin M. Caliguid, PDI Mindanao Bureau

Ellie