PDA

View Full Version : She wants Marines, but Army beckons

thedrifter
03-01-06, 07:09 AM
She wants Marines, but Army beckons
Hoping to honor her fallen brother, she gets West Point appointment
BY ALLEN HOWARD | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Sarah Dyer, the 17-year-old Princeton High graduate from Evendale who joined the Marine Reserve to honor her brother who died in Iraq, has received an appointment to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

But she's not committing to going there. Instead, she's hoping for an appointment to the U.S. Naval Academy, which trains Navy and Marine officers.

Sarah's brother, Marine Cpl. Christopher Dyer, 19, died last August in Iraq.

Sarah graduated from Princeton High School early, joined the Marine Reserve on Jan. 22, and is in basic training at Parris Island, S.C.

She applied for appointments to both West Point and the U.S. Naval Academy.

"I have not made up my mind whether I want to go to West Point,'' Sarah said by telephone from Parris Island. "I am waiting to see if I get an appointment to the Naval Academy.''

If she attends West Point, she would have to make a commitment to serve in the Army.

Sarah said she expects to hear in a few weeks whether she will get a Naval Academy appointment. She has about eight more weeks of basic training at Parris Island.

U.S. Rep. Steve Chabot, R-Westwood, nominated Sarah along with other high school seniors. The academies then choose the students they want.

"It was an honor to be able to tell her she had been accepted,'' Chabot said.

"She is a remarkable young lady and knows what she wants to do. She is very patriotic and wants to serve her country." Chabot met Sarah and her family after the death of her brother.

"I attended her brother's funeral,'' Chabot said.

Sarah first expressed an interest in being a Marine when she and her brother were growing up, pretending to be Marines in the backyard of their Evendale home.

She had earned an Army ROTC scholarship to Xavier University, but said her heart was with the Marines.

E-mail ahoward@enquirer.com

Ellie

MillRatUSMC
03-01-06, 07:22 AM
My Platoon Commander in Bravo Co 3rd Recon at K-Bay Hawaii, 1st Lt. Frank S. Reasoner USMC was a graduate of West Point.
But chose a commission in the Marine Corps instead of the US Army.
I remember our company would be on a force march and the chant of
"Go Navy Beat Beat Army" from the other platoons of our company because their leaders were graduates of the Naval Academy.
Lt. Reasoner would look back from the front of our platoon and would tells us, "I wouldn't join in that if you know what's good for you"...he was joking with us...or was dead serious?
Best Platoon Commander any Marine could ask for...
She should check to see if this opition is still available...