PDA

View Full Version : Fonda calls for Iraq exit

thedrifter
02-28-06, 05:45 AM
Fonda calls for Iraq exit
By Jonathon Moran
28feb06

ACTOR and political activist Jane Fonda says coalition forces should leave Iraq and has labelled the conflict "disgusting" and "despicable".

Fonda, once dubbed Hanoi Jane for her opposition to America's role in the Vietnam War, said too many lives were being lost after an invasion of Iraq that was based on lies.

"I think it is a crime, a tragedy, disgusting and despicable," Fonda said in Sydney.

"It is almost beyond comprehension how we could have been brought into this war based on lies and continue to lose so many lives, both American and Iraqi.

"It makes my skin crawl ... my heart break."

Fonda attracted international headlines in 1972 when she was photographed sitting on a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun while on a tour of the country to drum up support to end the war.

"We haven't learnt our lessons," Fonda, 68, said.

"I have been spending time with Iraq veterans who have come back ... their voices are the most important because the Bush administration can't say they are unpatriotic.

"We have to support the ones who have been there who say this is wrong. What they are saying is, pull the troops out now."

Fonda's stand on the Vietnam War made her deeply unpopular among war veterans and that animosity survives today.

Fonda's political activism, film career and personal life are covered in her autobiography, titled My Life So Far, which she is in Australia to promote.

She was to make the trip last year but couldn't because of a hip operation.

In the book, she writes about her troubles with bulimia, her marriages, children and life in the spotlight.

"When I turned 62 and was once again single and had really gone through some profound personal transformation, I came to a place where I could see the themes of my life," she said.

"I knew that if I could write it honestly, that it would resonate with other people and provide a roadmap for dealing with things like self image, relationships, parenting and things like that."

The book has been a best seller in the US, Britain, France, Italy, Spain and Holland, and has been translated into 14 languages.

"People identify with what I have to say which makes me very happy," she said.

"There is no way to be helpful to other people unless you are honest about yourself."

Fonda said she enjoyed the process of writing her autobiography so much that she was looking at writing a fictional novel.

"I feel something brewing in my belly, it might be a novel," she said.

"I like writing and I think I am good at it."

The daughter of legendary screen star Henry Fonda has won two Academy Awards, for Klute and Coming Home.

Her other film credits include Barbarella, Julia, A Doll's House and Nine to Five.

Fonda, about whom songwriter Randy Newman is writing an opera, came out of retirement for 2005's Monster-In-Law with Jennifer Lopez and says she will make another film later this year.

"I am going to be doing another film but it hasn't been announced so I can't say, but probably I will start in June," she said.

"We haven't learnt our lessons,"

She hasn't learned to keep her mouth shut..

I guess You are right ...You can't teach an old dog tricks

Ellie