PDA

View Full Version : Fallen Indiana Marine Honored In Statehouse Ceremony

thedrifter
02-27-06, 01:43 PM
Fallen Indiana Marine Honored In Statehouse Ceremony
UPDATED: 12:24 pm EST February 27, 2006

INDIANAPOLIS -- A fallen Hoosier hero was honored and remembered in a ceremony Monday morning, almost two years after he was killed in Iraq.

The U.S. Marine Corps and Indiana House of Representatives memorialized Pfc. Deryk Hallal, 24, by awarding him posthumously with a Bronze Star.

Hallal was gunned down by Iraqi insurgents in April 2004. His fellow Marines remembered Hallal as a brave warrior and patriot, 6News' Julie Pursley reported.

Hallal, who was 24 at the time of his death, was a rifleman who was shot during a firefight. Marines said that despite being critically wounded, he fired back, holding off the enemy until his squad was able to get into position to defend itself.

One of the Marines who was with Hallal on the day of his death said that he wanted to make sure his friend was honored.

"A lot of Marines do outstanding stuff over there, but they don't get recognized, so I felt it was the least that I could do," said Staff Sgt. Damien Rodriguez.

Hallal's mother had a tearful tribute to her son at the ceremony.

"My prayer would be that our state would stand up and recognize all of these brave young men and women, who continue to allow us to live in the home of the free and the land of the brave," Pam Hallal said.

Shortly after the ceremony, the Indiana House unanimously passed a bill that provides relief for military families that have lost income while their loved ones serve.

Ellie