PDA

View Full Version : Father and son reunited in Iraq

thedrifter
02-27-06, 11:53 AM
Father and son reunited in Iraq
1st Marine Logistics Group
Story by Lance Cpl. Stephen J. Holt

CAMP TAQADDUM, Iraq (Feb. 26, 2006) -- For men and women in the U.S. military, good-byes are one of the hardest parts of deploying to foreign lands, as servicemembers must bid farewell to loved ones. However, for one father and his son, a deployment to Iraq didn’t mean good-bye, but rather a fortunate crossing of their paths.

For nearly a month, Chief Petty Officer Nestor A. Lazaga, 53, and his 22 year-old son, Petty Officer 3rd Class Mark G. Lazaga, have had the unique experience of spending time together in a combat zone while stationed together here.

The younger Lazaga, a hospital corpsman assigned to Marine Aircraft Group 39, Marine Wing Support Squadron 372 at Camp Taqaddum, is preparing to return to Camp Pendleton, Calif., after a seven-month deployment as his father begins his own seven months in Iraq.

During Mark’s deployment his job had him doing everything from the daily sick calls, to providing medical support on convoys and major construction projects in case any Marine was hurt while out on such missions.

Mark’s motivation to join the Navy and medical field is due in large part to his father.

The senior Lazaga is the leading chief petty officer of the medical aid station for Brigade Service Support Group-1, the headquarters element of the 1st Marine Logistics Group here.

“My dad has been a huge inspiration to me. I saw what opportunities the Navy offered my father and I wanted to capitalize on them as well,” said Mark.

Nestor’s influence didn’t stop there. He helped his son sort out how to best capitalize on the opportunities available in the Navy, and help figure out how Mark could best serve his nation.

“I’ve always been interested in the medical field. My father’s career as a medical professional in the Navy showed me there were opportunities in this field. I didn’t have any second thoughts,” Mark said.

For Nestor and Mark, their journeys in Iraq could not have been possible without support by the rest of the family back in the United States, especially Jackie, the woman at the center of their family.

“It’s not easy having to take care of two kids and worry about two men in Iraq,” said Mark. “We’re in the middle of a war, and (my mother, Jackie) has to work at the same time. She’s a great mother.”

Nestor couldn’t agree more with his son.

She is proud to support us, but it’s also painful, he said. My family is very proud of her because she has a strong heart and is so patient.

The deployment has not only given the family faith and strength, but has also been a bonding experience for the deployed members of the Lazaga family.

“Our relationship will be stronger because we’ve experienced the same thing. I love my son and (we) can relate to one another better,” said Nestor.

For Mark, the experience brought him closer to his father through a better understanding of his father’s previous deployments.

“As a child I never quite understood deployments, but now that I’ve been through what he’s (Nestor) been through I’ve been better able to relate to him and his past experiences,” said Mark.

As Mark’s deployment to Iraq nears an end, he plans on supporting his dad by taking on some of the responsibilities his father had shouldered back home.

“I’ll maintain the house and help my mom by driving my brother and sisters places,” Mark said. “I’ll pretty much be the man of the house while my dad is away.”

Although it will be hard for Nestor to remain in Iraq while his son goes home, one message remains clear.

“The mission is first, however I will miss my son,” Nestor said. “Having two family members in a deployment is hard to do, but we must do our mission.”

Although they will be separated by thousands of miles as one generation prepares to leave and another settles in, the Lazagas can take pride and solace in knowing their service has made their family stronger.

Ellie