PDA

View Full Version : Fallen troops' families unite to aid peers, vets

thedrifter
02-27-06, 06:50 AM
Fallen troops' families unite to aid peers, vets
Relatives form Mich. chapter of network, to give support at home and promote efforts abroad.
Jennifer Chambers / The Detroit News
February 27, 2006

NOVI -- Families of fallen U.S. soldiers and Marines and returning Iraq war veterans are launching a statewide initiative to support American troops overseas.

Wixom resident John Ellsworth, whose son Justin, a Marine, was killed Nov. 13, 2004, defusing a bomb in Iraq, will lead the newly formed Michigan Families United for Our Troops and Their Mission.

The group will give Michigan Gold Star families -- those who have lost someone in the war -- and local returning war vets a network for resources and support, Ellsworth said. It will also focus on getting the word out about the progress being made in Iraq, Afghanistan and across the globe.

"I think the American public is very confused about what is happening over there (Iraq) depending on what political party you believe," said Ellsworth, a Wolverine Lake police officer. "I don't think the American public has any idea the number of schools and school supplies that the Iraqi children now have due to coalition forces. They are making a difference."

Maj. Chuck Larson founded the national group, Families United for Our Troops and Their Mission, last summer after his return from a year's service in Iraq. Statewide groups have been formed in Iowa, Minnesota and Montana.

Larson, an Iowa state senator, is expected to join the Michigan group members today as they officially announce their launch in Novi at 1 p.m. He and members of the 372nd Engineer Group led an effort to help schoolchildren and assist medical clinics in Iraq as part of Operation Iraqi Hope.

Pete Bailey, a Commerce Township father who spent a year in Iraq, said media reports focus on death and destruction when there is another story to be told.

Bailey, of the Michigan Army National Guard, was activated in January 2004 and deployed to Iraq in May 2004. Upon hitting the ground, he served as a platoon leader and pilot to a Chinook lift company that carried both people and supplies to troops.

"What we are doing over there is a good thing and a necessary thing. I dealt with some Iraqis over there and many are quite happy we are there," said Bailey, a Clinton Township firefighter. "I know some Iraqis here and they are very happy Saddam (Hussein) is removed, and they want to see us finish the job."

The plan for Michigan Families United is to meet with civic organizations and arrange for speakers at community events to talk about the constructive work U.S. troops are doing, Ellsworth said. Group members also plan to write opinion articles for newspapers and give TV-radio interviews.

Matthew Zelenak, a career guardsman with the Michigan National Guard, said it is up to the men and women of the armed forces to tell of the work going on in Iraq, the stories the media misses or the public soon forgets.

"Saddam tried to dry up the water supply to people he didn't like. Americans and the contractors opened up the irrigation canals, and the water started flowing back to the farmlands, and it's green again. From my perspective of flying over the entire country, I can see this. Many others can't," said Zelenak, of Novi.

Ellsworth says launching the Michigan chapter is his way of showing Justin did not die in vain.

"I want to make sure his mission is finished. I want people to know he made a difference in the lives of the Iraqi people, and in the world he made a difference," Ellsworth said.

You can reach Jennifer Chambers at 248 647-7402 or jchambers@detnews.com.

Ellie