PDA

View Full Version : West Michigan Marines Learn Iraqi Arabic

thedrifter
02-26-06, 07:37 AM
West Michigan Marines Learn Iraqi Arabic
Updated: 2/25/2006 8:56:47 PM
WZZM, MI

A group of West Michigan marines are learning Arabic in case they are sent to Iraq.

For most of the students, learning Arabic is an entirely new challenge, but one they hope will help if they are called to duty in Iraq.

The sounds of the Iraqi dialect of Arabic ring out in a Grand Valley State University classroom, but these are not your average language students. Nearly twenty Marine Reservists from Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, 24th Marines, based in Grand Rapids, are giving up five Saturdays to learn Arabic.

"Basic language skills can help you out in certain situations where you just need to ask somebody which way you should be going," said Lance Corporal Ron Jansen.

The Marines volunteered for the class, just in case they need to put these language skills to work if they are sent to Iraq. "The more you know beforehand for a possibility, the better off you are when the time comes, if the time comes," said Corporal Ted Titus.

The group's teacher, Sebastian Maisel of Grand Valley State University also explains unique aspects of Iraqi culture. "You can have a conversation," Maisel said. "You can ask: 'How are you? I'm fine. How are you? I'm fine. How are you? I'm fine.' It's very polite just by asking it several times. Using the same words would not be inappropriate, it would be very much appreciated."

While learning the language can be a challenge, if these Marines end up in Iraq, they feel they will be better prepared. "Going to other countries, you speak the language, people are more apt to befriend you," said Corporal Titus.

"If it does come, like I said, I will help to be more prepared to understand a few things," said Lance Corporal Jansen. "More about the culture and more about the language that the people speak. And also to be able to get more information from the people, because you're able to talk to them at least on a basic level."

Saturday was the second of five voluntary classes.

Web Editor: Amy Fox, Reporter

Ellie