PDA

View Full Version : Mother of Lexington Marine believes her son is in "his heavenly home"

thedrifter
02-25-06, 06:11 AM
Mother of Lexington Marine believes her son is in "his heavenly home"
WIS-TV Columbia

(Lexington) February 24, 2006 - It's one of most painful things a parent can face: losing a child.

Two Midlands Marines died this week in the war in Iraq. Now, for the first time since her son's death , a mother talks about her devastating loss.

Sharon Fitzgerald-Foster spoke with News 10's Angie Goff about her son, 2nd Lt. Almar Fitzgerald. She told Angie, "He was my baby boy," who became a strong Marine.

"He'd say, 'Mom, stop telling everyone that I'm your baby boy. I'm not a baby anymore,' and I'd say, 'You are my baby boy, and you always will be my baby boy.'"

Sharon Fitzgerald-Foster said goodbye to her youngest son Almar on Tuesday. It's the hardest thing she's ever done, "I hope Jesus is wrapping his arms around Almar the same way I would if he was still here with us."

The second lieutenant died from injuries after his Humvee was hit by a roadside bomb in Iraq. He was on life support for two days at a hospital in Germany with his brother, sister and mother by his side.

Sharon tells News 10 about what happened, "The doctor said yes, he was brain dead, and that he believed that his soul left his body in Iraq before they found him. They pronounced him dead at that point."

She is in shock, "It's just hard to believe. It's just hard to believe."

What's so painful is Fitzgerald was scheduled to come home in two weeks. But Sharon has faith that "he's now in his heavenly home."

Accepting her loss, Sharon believes her son will now be taken care of forever, "I guess I can just look forward to seeing him again someday."

Sharon says her son loved his job and she's proud of him.

Fitzgerald will be laid to rest with full military honors next Saturday in Lexington.

Reported by Angie Goff

Posted 7:20pm by Chantelle Janelle

Ellie