PDA

View Full Version : Single mother of six becomes first master gunnery sergeant in her MOS

thedrifter
02-24-06, 11:06 AM
Single mother of six becomes first master gunnery sergeant in her MOS
2nd Marine Logistics Group
Story by Cpl. Matthew K. Hacker

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (Feb. 24, 2006) -- Most Marines strive to be the best at what they do, but only a select few can claim they were the "first" in history to accomplish something. Like Samuel Nicholas who became the first Marine officer in 1775, Opha Mae Johnson who became the first female Marine in 1918 or Carol A. Mutter who became the first female major general in 1994.

Through hard work and dedication, Kimberly D. Walker joined these distinguished Marines in February when she became the first female master gunnery sergeant to serve as a combat service support chief.

Since joining the Marine Corps in 1984, Walker has worked her way through the ranks all the while not limiting herself to just her career. Walker is the proud mother of six daughters ranging in age from six to 19.

Although at times her career has taken her far from her children they have never been far from her mind.

"My girls mean the world to me," said Walker. "I know I've missed a lot of birthdays, while I was away on deployments, but thoughts of them always got me through."

The Portville, Calif., native currently works as the G-3 chief for 2nd Marine Logistics Group at Building 2, and also as a full time mother.

"It goes without saying that having six daughters involves a lot of work, but with the values I've instilled in them over the years, they're very good at taking care of themselves if I can't be there," Walker said, with a proud smile.

Although Walker has instilled Marine Corps values in her children over the years, she admits that incorporating Godly values as well is what has helped make her children who they are today.

"They are all hard workers who look out for each other and don't quit," said Walker. "I've always been big on integrity and now they are too."

Some may think that moving six kids around the globe several times throughout their childhood would weaken a family's spirit, but it seems to have brought the Walker family closer together.

"All my girls are very close, we're definitely a close knit family," Walker added. "[Throughout] the years they've grown to quickly adapt to a new environment, and they have never had problems making friends."

While her daughters, Dawn, 19, Lindsey, 16, Sidney, 16, Jasmine, 13, Janel, 9, and Gabrielle, 7, all love spending time together playing board games or cooking, they are all individuals in their own right.

Dawn, who was a cross-country runner in high school, now attends Eastern Carolina University as a sophomore. Sydney has followed in her sister's footsteps and runs cross-country, while Jasmine dedicates her after school activities to track and field, specializing in the shot put. Gabrielle, the youngest, wants to start taking piano lessons, while her sister, Janel, has fun gardening with her mom in the backyard.

Walker has juggled her roles of both mom and G-3 chief for two years now. While she has six of her biggest fans cheering her on at home, she picked up a few protégés in the workplace as well.

One of them had nothing but good things to say about her Marine Corps mentor.

"It's been a good experience working with Master Gunnery Sgt. Walker," said Lance Cpl. Kellie M. Hubbard of Spencer, Tenn., a G-3 administration clerk. "She is definitely a good role model of how your Marine Corps career is supposed to be."

While Walker has loved her time spent in the Marine Corps, she is planning on retiring after three more years of service, according to Walker.

"I want to get out and spread the wealth to give others the chance to get promoted up the ranks," Walker added. “I’d also like to spend more time with my kids.”

Although her plans on where to retire are still up in the air, she has considered returning to her home state of California, or possibly moving closer to her New England Patriots-playing nephew, James Sanders, according to Walker.

Walker's final thoughts on being promoted and receiving the recognition of the first female of her rank in her MOS were a collaboration or honored and proud feelings.

"It's definitely a great feeling knowing I'm the first female [master gunnery sergeant] in my field," said Walker. "But I'm just proud to have made it to master gunnery sergeant and to be where I am in the Marine Corps. That's an achievement in itself."

Ellie

marine81
03-14-06, 11:29 AM
WOW! Way to go!!! I was in the Marines from 1981 to 1985, and I'd say that is definitely a major accomplishment. I just wanted to give you a big "SHOUT OUT" to MGYSGT and OORAH!!! What an inspiration you are to the thousands of other female Marines. Being in the Corp myself, I know how difficult it can be for females to get ahead. It's great that you have perservered thru all things to get to where you are. Keep up the great work!! And may other female Marines be inspired by your hard work and determination.

Semper Fi,

Pam

katkuntre
07-09-06, 02:00 PM
:flag::banana::iwo: