PDA

View Full Version : Velasquez chose Marines for the discipline

thedrifter
02-23-06, 08:42 AM
Velasquez chose Marines for the discipline
By Theresa McQueen, The Porterville Recorder

Jesse Velasquez may be just a teenager, but he has a calm and assertive sense of loyalty and duty. At only 18, he has the forethought and commitment to sign his name on the dotted line with the U.S. Marines and give his word of devout patriotism. He is a leader to his peers and an asset to his community.

When did you start to consider the military to be part of your future?

“When I was in fourth or fifth grade. My mom had told me that she wanted to join the military when she was younger but her father wouldn't let her go. I knew how proud she'd be if I went and served my country. I thought about it and ultimately decided to go.”

Why did you chose the Marines?

“Because the Marines are considered to be the most difficult branch. I needed to be disciplined.”

Are you looking forward to the discipline?

“Yes, I'm just waiting to be pushed and forced to do what I have to do. You never know what you're capable of until you're really pushed.”

What would you like to do in the military? Reserves or career?

“Career, I would like to become an MP [Military Police], and when I retire I would like to be a correctional officer.”

Have you considered the possibility that you might be sent to Iraq? How would you feel

about that?

“I'm willing to do whatever I've got to do. I can't turn my back on my country and say no.”

What was your families response when you told them you were joining the Marines?

“They were in shock. They were sad. And in a way they were happy because I made the decision about my future on my own.”

When are you leaving for the Marines?

“As soon as possible.”

Contact Theresa McQueen at 784-5000, Ext. 1051, or tmcqueen@portervillerecorder.com.

Ellie