PDA

View Full Version : Adios, Amigos

thedrifter
02-23-06, 07:31 AM
Adios, Amigos
Written by Col. Bob Pappas, USMC Ret.
Wednesday, February 22, 2006

For the past four and a half years, I have had the privilege to write pieces for Gulf1.com that were intended to reinforce conservatives, edify and chastise liberals (in the definition of earlier essays), and strengthen the resolve of patriots, whether in uniform or civilian attire to keep this nation at the forefront of liberty, democratic processes and institutions, and enhance the nation's moral fabric, so that unlike its predecessors in the long line of great nations, this nation will remain for all time, a beacon in the darkness and a port of hope in the storms and sunshine of domestic and international events.

I find it most notable that the more the political extremes squawk, the more I glorify God, the Almighty Creator of the Universe and the Constitution of the United States that even during wartime, we enjoy the benefits of liberty to a width and breadth that no other nation in history has enjoyed--even though liberals are way over the top in their attitudes and their all but overt support of the enemy. Such behavior would not be possible had it not been for the Christian founders of this nation. It matters not one iota where we came from, what our status or station may be, our level of education, the color of our skin, our ethnic heritage or sexual deviance, everyone has an opportunity to achieve the American dream (which means different things to different people).

Now, a note about Islam and Christianity. Wouldn't it be wonderful if Islam was as peaceful politicians at home and in Muslim countries would like for us to believe, and wouldn't it be wonderful if Christianity was a Christian as it ought to be? From my observations and studies that have spanned more decades than I care to count, Islam is not peaceful, it is inherently violent in doctrine and behavior of Mohammed, and Christianity is inherently loving in the spirit and actions of Jesus Christ.

I won't react to those who site historical instances of Christian abuses over the ages. Those dear bewildered souls don't have a clue about what I mean when I write that Christianity is inherently loving. Here is some logic for liberals of all ilks. Think about it: if you call yourself a Christian without the essence thereof, you aren't; that my dear friends is not "judging," it is logic. Take it or leave it. However, you can be a Christian if you repent of your evil attitudes and behavior and resolve to live a life that is Christ-like in word and deed; and, if you wonder how to do that, read the guidebook (Bible).

For latter-day American Muslims, you should be ashamed of yourselves for embracing a religion that justifies and underwrites your hatred for your fellow countrymen. You dishonor yourselves, your heritage and the land where you have freedom to change, unlike your overseas brothers and sisters who would suffer not only persecution, but certain death.

For those who choose not to believe in God, it's your choice, and that is precisely the beauty of being an American. This illuminates, however, a potentially fatal weakness in the Constitution as interpreted by the Supreme Court, that a tyrannical minority has the ability to impose its will upon a benevolent majority. I say benevolent because if such a one were to live in a Muslim country, he would have no choice about what to believe. He would either believe or die; such is the inherent nature of Islam. So, my dear "godless" friends, thank the God of the Christians who made it possible for you to be able eschew Christianity and yet live in freedom.

This is what being American is about and I, for one, am blest to be born free, to live in freedom, and to aspire to the American dream. Until recent years, one could take pride in one’s achievement, not on account of quotas but through hard work, ingenuity, and perseverance. On the other hand those who have benefited from and have begun to live the American dream incident to quotas can be thankful that the God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time, and imputed to the founders of this great nation and successive generations the foresight and wisdom to forge societal evolution in the right way.

Now, to paraphrase Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken, two roads have diverged in a yellow wood, and perhaps I, too, wistfully believe that someday I will return to the keyboard with the same regularity that I have for the past 16 years since retirement from the world’s finest fighting force, the U.S. Marines. I remain proud and brim with pride as Marines cover themselves with honor in this present war against the dark side of the force.

Some readers will undoubtedly breathe a sigh of relief and others may pine away at the notion of my retirement from writing, but sharing my thoughts as a free man, in a free country, with the blessings of liberty during a period when the First Amendment is under assault by those on the left and the right at home and overseas, has been one of the chief blessings of liberty since the inception of this nation, a blessing for which this retired Marine served with energy, passion, respect, and love for this greatest nation in the history of nations.

Thank you for taking time to read. You have honored me and I hope that there has been a nugget or two that in some way benefited you.

Semper Fidelis

About the Writer: Bob joined the U.S. Marine Corps in February 1959 and retired in October 1989. He served two combat tours in Vietnam, and flew 500 missions in the F-4 and OV-10 aircraft. His military awards include LoM (2), DFC (2), (SM)AM (2), (SF)AM(24), Purple Heart, MSM, BS (V), and NCM. Bob is married to his best friend, and has a fabulous stepson and daughter-in-law and two wonderful, magnificent, lovely, precious, heart-melting grandchildren. Col. Bob receives e-mail at cheetah@gulf1.com.

Ellie

Thank You Sir!