PDA

View Full Version : Headed back to the front

thedrifter
02-22-06, 06:16 AM
Headed back to the front
BY MICHELLE VOLKMANN, SUN STAFF WRITER
Feb 21, 2006

This is the first in a series of reports that former Marine and current real estate developer and Yuma city councilman Ross Hieb will be doing for The Sun while embedded with VMA-513 as they deploy to Iraq. During his special assignment for the newspaper, he will provide his perspective as a former Marine aviator and give insight into the Yuma Harrier squadron.

A retired Marine and councilman-turned-military correspondent is deploying with 200 Yuma Marines on Thursday.

Marines with Marine Air Control Squadron-1 (reinforced) and Marine Attack Squadron VMA-513 are leaving for Al Asad, Iraq. Their mission will be in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

In 1975, Yuma Councilman Ross Hieb was a Harrier pilot with VMA-513 located at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, N.C. More than 30 years later, Hieb is accompanying these Marines to Iraq and he will report on "their stories" in The Sun.

"You see all the reports for Iraq on the military and they almost never deal with aviation," Hieb said. "There is almost nothing printed on those (Yuma) units, what they are doing and how they are doing it. It would be nice for the families and community to read about it."

Hieb's articles start today. On Thursday, he will fly out with Marines to Kuwait. It will take a day and half to get there. In Iraq, Hieb will be living among the Marines. He flies out of Kuwait and back home on March 10.

"I will try to get as broad and detailed as I can," Hieb said.

This will be his first trip to Iraq.

During the first Gulf War, he was commander of a Harrier training squadron at Cherry Point, N.C., and didn't deploy to the Middle East.

Hieb, who now works as a developer and investor, retired from the Marine Corps as a colonel in 1996. At one point during his 27-year career, Hieb was the commanding officer of Marine Aircraft Group-13. MAG-13 oversees the four Harrier squadrons at Marine Corps Air Station Yuma.

He was stationed at MCAS Yuma from 1971 to 1972. In 1994, he was back in Yuma.

These experiences are the foundation for his international assignment.

"I think I have a better understanding of why they do what they do," Hieb said. "I feel they will get a lot out of it. I really want to tell their story."

Or is it a way for Hieb to fulfill a desire to see what other Marines are experiencing?

"There is some of that. Go over there and see what the guys are doing," he said.

Michelle Volkmann can be reached at
mvolkmann@yumasun.com or 539-6855.

Ellie