PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps col. returns from Iraq

thedrifter
02-19-06, 11:34 AM
Marine Corps col. returns from Iraq
By John Zick
jzick@the-leader.com

Big Flats| Marine Corps Col. Mark Frampton touched down Thursday at the Elmira-Corning Regional Airport knowing he would never have to return to Iraq.

Frampton had not seen his family in months and appeared overjoyed to be home, saying he was looking forward to skiing with his son and two daughters. He even joked with his wife, Diane, asking her if they were still married.

“There's gotta be some snow somewhere,” he said, basking in the 50-degree temperatures.

At the same time, Frampton was lacking the look of a man who felt his job was finished.

“It's great, it's different,” Frampton said of being home. “There's a love-hate relationship, at least that's what I'm feeling right now. A feeling, a little bit, of incomplete work.”

Frampton, who served as a company commander in Desert Storm, volunteered to go overseas last summer after receiving an e-mail from a Marine friend in May 2005, asking for Frampton's help. And Frampton did not say he wouldn't consider returning to Iraq again if needed

“I looked at it about a day,” he said. “Then decided it was something I could do.”

Family members and friends, numbering about 20, lined up for Frampton as he arrived at the airport on Thursday. With a big smile, he embraced his mother, wife, kids and others, but said his feeling of unfinished business had to do with the Marines he left in Iraq.

“You miss your family and you want to be home, but the guys you are serving with become your family, as well,” he said.

Progress is being made in Iraq and there is a light at the end of the tunnel, which makes Frampton more steadfast in his beliefs that the work can be finished, he said.

“I see lots of progress,” Frampton said. “We don't see that being fairly reported in the newspapers or on TV. There are tons of good things being done.”

Although conflicted, Frampton, a 27-year veteran of the Marine Corps, could not remove the smile from his face, saying again that he couldn't wait to spend time with his family. His mother, Winnie Frampton, echoed that sentiment.

“It's absolutely wonderful (to have him home),” she said.

Frampton served a six-month tour of duty.

Also on Wednesday, Ryan Chimileski, a soldier from Horseheads, returned home from Iraq for 15 days of leave.

Chimileski, of the 21st Military Police Company Airborne, 503rd Battalion, in Fort Bragg, N.C., served three months in Iraq, and after his 15 days home, Chimileski will go back to Iraq until December.

A handful of family and friends met Chimileski at the Elmira-Corning Regional Airport on Wednesday.

When asked what he was looking forward to doing, Chimileski said, “Hanging out with family and getting to hang out with friends again (is what I'm looking forward to).”

Chimileski agreed with Frampton, saying some progress is being made in the war-torn country.

“A lot of people really like that we're there,” he said. Some people obviously don't, that's why were there, but I feel like we're making a difference.“

Ellie