PDA

View Full Version : Santas Undergo Background Checks

Kegler300
11-25-02, 11:48 AM
What are we coming to?

http://www.drudgereport.com/santa.jpg

MILWAUKEE (AP) - The jolly man in the red suit is a popular fixture at local shopping malls this time of the year. And chances are good that before Santa Claus hears one Christmas wish, he's undergone a criminal background check and drug testing.

"It's just a sign of the times for all businesses that provide services to families and children," said Barbara Sacco, vice president of marketing for Faison & Associates, which manages The Shops of Grand Avenue mall in downtown Milwaukee.

Nancy Conley, marketing director at Mayfair Mall in Wauwatosa, said background checks and drug screening have become common place when hiring Santas.

"Even the elves are finger-printed and drug-tested," Conley said.

Pre-employ.com specializes in background checks for job applicants. It found that about 70 of 1,000 shopping mall Santa and Santa helper applicants had committed misdemeanors or felonies in the last seven years. The offenses included indecent exposure, soliciting prostitution and drunken driving.

Santa Plus, of O'Fallon, Mo., scrutinizes the backgrounds of more than 500 Santas it places in 250 malls in 46 states, including Mayfair and Bayshore mall in Glendale.

"Once we have a contract with a mall, we will run a nationwide criminal background check, and put them through a drug test, on all our Santas whether real-bearded or synthetic," said Jerry Helton, vice president of marketing at Santa Plus, a division of Eastman Kodak.

That goes for Mrs. Claus and Santa's helpers, Helton said.

JinxJr
11-25-02, 12:47 PM
Here's a News Flash for you...I'm a Toys for Tots Campaign Coordinator and this past year the TFT Foundation sent all of the coordinators in the country . . . A Background Check. Failure to fill it out and return it would have prevented the approval to conduct a local TFT Campaign. Because I didn't get it in a timely manner which resulted in their not getting it in a timely manner, my program will get none of the supplemental toys that the foundation scores to distribute to local programs.

ecomsg68
11-25-02, 09:15 PM
I can assume that when we put make believe Santa’s, elves and reindeers thru drug testing that means we are wining the WAR ON DRUGS! I’ve always thought those Xmas imposters were members of the Communist party myself, 'better dead than red', they do wear red … right? No wonder the real Santa stays on the North Pole with his six-pack, Mrs. Santa and his concubines, it’s to dangerous fly into this air space with the WAR ON TERRIOSM. Those jet jockeys mean business … don’t even think of delivering presents to DC, N.Y. City or any cities in the continental US. We’ll zap your ase!

:rambo: :mad: :confused:

Barndog
11-26-02, 02:55 AM
Yeah, but it's OKAY to fly a commercial airliner drunk tho....... loaded with passengers at 0730. And now they can carry guns in the cockpit.

Hows that for hypocrisy?

What a country.

JinxJr
11-26-02, 10:54 AM
Whoa, whoa, whoa...let's get the ol' brain bucket in gear here. First of all, It's NOT okay to fly a commercial airliner with a snoutful, with or without passengers at any time of day and the ones who do (or try to) are almost always caught. What we have here is the issue of public safety. Sadly, there are those who would exploit children in any one of a number of ways; Santa Claus is a great start for a sick S.O.B. and because of the one or two that have ruined what the Jolly Old Elf represents for kids by demonstrating their socially unacceptable quirks, our society has, to a great degree, overreacted. In the case of requiring background checks on Mall Santa's, it's to err on the side of caution...understandable when you consider that I can sue YOU if I burn MY crotch drinking YOUR coffee while driving MY car. The point of the exercise is...C Y A and we all understand that. The shame of it all is that it has to be that way if you want your kid to be safe with one of the two people the little "darlings" SHOULD be able to trust outside of your home.

P.S. Just for the record...if you don't trust a fat guy in a "Red" suit, there are a lot of guys playing Santa this time every year in the United States Marine Blue Dress Uniform.

Barndog
11-26-02, 11:51 AM
I hear ya Gunny, loud and clear.

My point being it was ATTEMPTED, and more than once. See - when left to our own devices (or left to critique our OWN behavior) - lots of people fall waaaaaay short.

But, honestly..... a background check won't make a piece of crap difference if that Santa is clean, and only posing for victims. It's the choice and opportunity to act that makes all the difference. ( I used to work in a prison too, by the way - WORK not LIVE)

If given the choice, I'd rather see every Santa wearing the Marine Corps Dress Blue Uniform.

I know I'd sleep better at night.

Semper FI

wrbones
12-02-02, 06:42 PM
Why would anyone want to check the ground back of my house before I could be a Santa?

I don't get it!

:D

I couldn't resist! LOL.

firstsgtmike
12-02-02, 06:58 PM
Before I left, I lived in an RV for several years. The ground behind MY house changed almost weekly. The Grand Canyon, Yellowstone Park, The Mojave Desert, etc.

You think they'd have a problem checking the ground behind YOUR house? HAH!

wrbones
12-02-02, 08:29 PM
LMAO ROTF!!!!

ecomsg68
12-02-02, 08:56 PM
Great program ...

Lets just save money on the security and background checks for the imposters. We create a Santa Duty Detachment and let Marines do this time honored tradition of TOYS FOR TOTS with full Federal and State funding. Get to it ....

Marines already have background checks and I fair to say kids wouldn't be scared of a Marine in Dress Blues.

:marine:

firstsgtmike
12-03-02, 01:22 AM
NOW, THAT's the best suggestion I've heard about ANYTHING for too many years.

Darwins Greed
12-03-02, 07:27 AM
Hey Marines,
You know, I don't think Santa does them Dress Blues justice:

(Of course I don't either judging by this pic, seening as I don't exactly know what they look like off the top of my head!)

Barndog
12-03-02, 09:53 AM
Ya know.......

Toys for Tots was started by Reservist Marines.

Why not this portion of it by Veteran Marines? Hell, I'd be happy to sit and play Santa Jarhead....

OOHHH RAHHHH