PDA

View Full Version : ET Marine's birthday call his last

thedrifter
02-16-06, 06:59 AM
ET Marine's birthday call his last
Dies after Humvee hit by IED near Syria

By LOLA ALAPO, alapol@knews.com
February 16, 2006

Beverly Washam on Saturday gave birthday greetings over the phone to her son, Marine Cpl. Rusty Washam, who was stationed in Iraq.

It was his 21st birthday.

The two chatted about his life in the Middle East and goings-on in his Huntsville, Tenn., home.

"It was a real clear line that day," Washam said Wednesday. "I have talked to him before and it was real fuzzy. But that day, his voice was real clear."

His last words to her: "I love you, Mom."

Military officials Tuesday evening notified Washam and her family that her youngest son had been killed as he was driving a Humvee.

Washam died when an improvised explosive device struck his Humvee, Beverly Washam said. He and a fellow Marine in the vehicle were killed, she said.

Both Marines were wearing all their protective gear, she said.

"I never dreamed this could happen," she said. "I thought, 'Let him be hurt,' and that's it. I just want him back. He's my baby."

Washam, a member of the 3rd Battalion, 6th Marine unit based in Camp Lejeune, N.C., had been in Iraq since August, his mother said. When last they spoke, he told her that he was near the Syrian border. He was expected to return to East Tennessee next month.

"He was so excited about coming home," his mother said.

Since the war began, 2,265 American soldiers have died, including 46 from Tennessee, according to the Associated Press War Casualty Database.

Washam was a 2003 graduate of Scott County High School, where he played football. He joined the Marines shortly after graduation.

Washam was the son of retired Army Master Sgt. Sonny Washam, who spent 24 years in the military.

Washam was one of three brothers serving in the military, each in a different branch.

A brother, Cpl. Dustin Washam, is in the Army. He was wounded in Iraq last June. He sustained a foot injury, his father said.

Another brother, Staff Sgt. Donny Washam, is in the Air Force.

Washam leaves behind two sons, Ryan 4, and Andrew, 2.

Funeral arrangements were incomplete Wednesday evening.

"He was an honorable young man," Beverly Washam said. "He was proud to be a Marine. He worked hard at being a Marine."

Lola Alapo may be reached at 865-342-6376.

Rest In Peace

Ellie