PDA

View Full Version : Booger Three: The true story

Shaffer
11-25-02, 10:47 AM
Wednesday, Nov. 20: In which our heroine hits the deck, loses her helmet, and sprains her ankle, but scores some serious Motrin.

7 a.m.: It is Day Three of a new training course designed by the military to help reporters prepare to embed with combat units in the event of a war with Iraq.

For reasons unclear, we were woken not by screaming sergeants but by gentle knocks on the door -- small consolation at 5 a.m.

It is a big day, as we will be camping overnight in a wet field and eating only MREs until Thursday night. We scramble to pack everything we need and struggle on our rucksacks -- awkward, heavy backpacks with more straps than anyone needs.

I flip it on from an upside-down position (more complicated than it sounds) and stagger under the weight, careening into the bunk bed. With the helmet, flak jacket and FLIC (an acronym that almost surely stands for something but mostly equals heavy, as it is a Bat-belt like vest thing that ports all the incidentals of warfare: canteen, MREs, first aid kit). I am easily carrying an extra 30 pounds, maybe more. I am already tired before I hit the door.

http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20021122-085414-2271r