PDA

View Full Version : Marines send 98-pounds of lead downrange

thedrifter
02-15-06, 05:47 AM
Marines send 98-pounds of lead downrange
MCAS Iwakuni
Story by Lance Cpl. John S. Rafoss

Hijudai Training Area, Japan (Feb. 15, 2006) -- With support from Combat Service Support Detachment 36, Marines from Headquarters Battery, 3rd Battalion, 12th Marine Regiment and Bravo Battery, 1st Battalion, 10th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division conducted an Artillery Training Program (ATP) at Hijudai training area, Jan. 20 to Feb. 15.

Bravo Battery 1/10, originally from Camp Lejeune on a Unit Deployment Program to Okinawa, traveled to the cold mountains of mainland Japan to fire the M198 Howitzer.

According to Capt. Timothy M. Slinger, 1/10 commander, ATP is a contract between the Marine Corps and Japanese forces to fire artillery. Due to the limitations over on Okinawa, the Marines have to come to the Japanese mainland in order to fire artillery.

“The mission of ATP is to train on different terrain and get my Marines to see something else because we are not always going to fight in places like Camp Lejeune, Pendleton and 29 Palms,” said Slinger, native of Dallas.

Once on the gun line, the motivated Rambo’s were given 600 High Explosive (HE) rounds to shoot between three howitzers.

“It’s a big adrenaline rush on the gun line,” said Cpl. Andrew Chambers, 1/10 cannon crewman and native of Pensacola Fla. “It reminds me of when I was back in high school on the football team. It’s the same type of adrenaline rush I had before each game: running through the banner in the end zone with the crowd roaring and cheer leaders going crazy.”

Each powerful cannon is capable of putting rounds on target at up to 18 miles away, raining shrapnel and creating massive craters in the impact area. Each round equals about 50 hand grenades.

“Watching the rounds explode is awesome,” said Lance Cpl. David Burch, Combat Logistics Company Alpha artillery mechanic and native of Chino, Calif. “There’s a lot of anticipation while the round is in the air. You can hear it whistling and when it finally hits the deck you see dirt fly everywhere and two seconds later you hear boom.”

Even though CSSD-36 Marines are out here to support the artillery Marines with maintenance and supply, they have a great opportunity to learn about a different Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) than what they are used to in the air wing.

“Iwakuni Marines usually don’t deal with howitzers too often,” said Burch. “Out here they get a chance to go on the gun line, fire them and see how they operate.”

“Artillery is fast paced and completely different from my MOS,” said Cpl. Matthew W. Vierling, CSSD-36/CLC Alpha motor transportation operator and native of Louisville, Ky. “Helping them on gun line is very exciting. The first time I heard the gun go off, it startled me.”

According to Slinger, ATP has been a complete success.

“My Marines have gotten a lot out it and have actually improved combat effectiveness,” added Slinger.

Ellie