PDA

View Full Version : Marine battalion with heavy losses returning to Lejeune

thedrifter
02-13-06, 02:36 PM
Article published Feb 13, 2006
Marine battalion with heavy losses returning to Lejeune
Greensboro News-Record

CAMP LEJEUNE (AP) — A Marine battalion that lost 16 members in seven months of combat returned from Iraq in a weekend-long homecoming that ended Monday.

The 900 members of the 2nd Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, also known as the "Warlords," reunited with relatives at a Camp Lejeune field house. A blanket with names of the combat victims hung on a wall as a reminder.

"You are happy that you survived, but remember those we lost. That will sit with us forever," said Maj. Chris Dixon, the battalion's executive officer.

About 13,000 troops are scheduled to return to Camp Lejeune in the coming weeks as the Marines rotate out of Iraq and are replaced by troops from other bases.

1st Lt. Simon VanBoening was greeted by his 19-month-old son, Trenton, who was wearing a miniature desert camouflage uniform similar to his dad's.

"It's exciting," said Susan VanBoening, Trenton's mother. "Trenton just ran through a bunch of puddles and I don't really care because my spouse is getting home. It's been stressful and I'm just relieved that it's over."

After arriving on a convoy of buses with other Marines, VanBoening played with his son on bleachers at the field house and said he was happy to be back home with his family.

"It's a relief just to see them and not worry about anything happening to them," VanBoening said.

Terri Foley put it another way as she waited for the bus carrying her son, Cpl. David Foley, to the base.

"My heart, my heart," she said. "You can't put it into words. It's a mother's love."

Besides the 2nd Battalion, about 100 troops from the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force came home Saturday and about 240 from Marine Aviation logistics Squadron-26 were due back Monday after nearly a year in Iraq.

Other Marines are leaving Lejeune for Iraq, including 130 troops in the 2nd Transportation Support Battalion who are scheduled for a seven-month deployment. Members of the Marine Light-Attack Helicopter Squadron-269 are leaving for six months in Iraq.

Lance Cpl. Ryan Harrington said he hopes to return in time for the birth of his first child in September. It's his second deployment.

"He got to see the first ultrasound and saw the heart beat, so that was nice," said Crystal Harrington. "I think (deployment) is a little easier this time. It's harder in a different way. Last time, I didn't know what to expect. This time I do."

Ellie