PDA

View Full Version : Point Marines rap for righteousness

thedrifter
02-13-06, 10:03 AM
Point Marines rap for righteousness
MCAS Cherry Point
Story by Cpl. J.R. Stence

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION CHERRY POINT, N.C. (Feb. 13, 2006) -- “Mic check one-two …”

Legit holds the “mic” with two hands as bass and percussion drop through six speakers in K-Special’s barracks room. Sitting between two keyboards, K-Special sweeps his hands over keys and dials, creating a simple melody that weaves into the rhythm. Legit’s smoothly delivered lyrics infuse personality and theme into the music. The product is hip-hop with a Christian message.

Legit is more commonly known here as Lance Cpl. Joel Miller Jr., a supply float clerk with Combat Service Support Detachment 21. K-Special is Sgt. Cedrick Williams, the career planner with Marine Transport Squadron 1. The tandem spends almost two hours each day in the makeshift studio.

Williams, the enterprising half of the duo, said their immediate goal is to create a recording label to launch their first album, which they’re still working to complete. Their almost-nightly jam sessions are recorded and archived. Between writing and making beats, both hip-hop artists spend several hours a day honing their craft.

And they spend a considerable amount of money to do it. With pairs of 15, 12 and 6-inch speakers, three keyboards, a microphone, a recorder and a public announcement system inside Williams barracks room, they’ve spent between $8,000 and $9,000 on equipment, said Williams.

Both artists want to use hip-hop to preach the gospel. Their lyrics consist of the Christian salvation message, praise and commentary on the morality of today’s culture.

“We were given this gift,” said Williams. “We’re going to use it for the magnification of the Lord.”

Miller added, “I used to 'battle rap,' but whenever I write a song (now), it’s always about something positive.”

Hip-hop is a big component of an even larger part of their lives. Williams is a piano player and Miller is a drummer at New Beginnings, a non-denominational church in Havelock. Each week, they play for the praise and worship team Monday, the church choirs Wednesday, the musician’s rehearsal Saturday, and two services Sunday. Tuesdays, they attend a Bible study at the church.

“My main goal is to try to get closer to God … so he can shape me the way I need to be, so I can get stronger in my music,” said Miller.

Yet for the duo, music isn’t an end in itself. Miller said they want people to feel God’s power through their work.

“When you feel the presence of God, it’s like no other feeling,” said Miller. “He’s your strength once you start learning to lean on him.”

Ellie