PDA

View Full Version : New Marine shatters Depot pull-up record

thedrifter
11-24-02, 03:50 PM
http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2002112211129/$file/pull-up4lr.jpg

Lance Cpl. Seth F. Redford, Platoon 2117, Co. E, broke the Depot's record for pull-ups done by a recruit when he did 76 pull-ups during the company's final physical fitness test, Nov. 15. Redford claims that motivation from his senior drill instructor, Staff Sgt. Stephen Lotempio, was a big part of the reason he was able to not only beat the record but to push himself.
Photo by: Cpl. Ethan E. Rocke

PhotoID: 2002112211129
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Operation/Exercise/Event:
pull-ups

Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 20021122104525
Story by Cpl. Ethan E. Rocke

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(November 22, 2002) -- A Marine who graduates from recruit training today did 76 pull-ups Nov. 15 during his final physical fitness test, shattering the Depot's old record of 65, set in 1999.

Lance Cpl. Seth F. Redford, platoon guide, Platoon 2117, and company honorman, Company E, is 30 years old and holds two bachelor's degrees from Brigham Young University in Utah, one in political science and one in law.

Redford, who said he has always enjoyed keeping himself physically fit, did 60 pull-ups during his initial strength test. He said he was able to break the record with his will power and a lot of motivation from his drill instructors.

"I could not have done this without my drill instructors, especially my senior drill instructor," Redford said. "It was theirs' and God's help that enabled me to do this."

Redford's drill instructors were very persistent about improving their recruits' physical fitness.

"Every time a recruit went to the head he was encouraged (by the drill instructors) to do a maximum set of pull-ups going in and a maximum set coming out," said Redford. Becauses of this training Platoon 2117 claimed the record for average Physical Fitness Test Score.

While Redford spoke highly of his drill instructors, they had some good things to say about him as well.

"When I first saw him during the IST, I said to myself 'he's going to be the company honorman,'" said Staff Sgt. James R. Smith, series gunnery sergeant, Series 2117, Co. E.

Redford said he aspires to one day become an officer in the force reconnaissance job field, but he enlisted in the Marines to learn leadership from the bottom up.

Redford said. "I would never order someone to do something I wouldn't do myself, and I think my enlisted experience will help prepare me for that kind of leadership responsibility."

Redford's outstanding accomplishments and experiences in recruit training have set him up for success in the future.

"It is hard to put into words what the boot camp experience is truly like," he said. "Only through experience is one able to comprehend the incredible transformation a young motivated civilian goes through to earn the title U.S. Marine."

Sempers,

Roger

Seeley
11-24-02, 08:51 PM
Holy mother thats a lot of pullups! I can only do 16 as a max right now lol. All the way above the bar and all the way down to a full lock is hard enough to do 16 times and 76 is downright insane. Thanks for the post drifter, that is some serious motivation right there.

I've started working on my upper boddy and abdominal strength about 3 days ago so that in when I graduate in '04 and go to boot I'll be the biggest, baddest mofo there :). So far all I've got out of it though is a great pain in my abs, tricepts, bicepts and forearms. It gets so tight and cramped that pushups feel good after a while LOL (I just hope I get that curling bar for Christmas :)).

firstsgtmike
11-25-02, 12:24 AM
Seeley,

The guy who did it is 30 years old. Not taking anything away from him, but he was twice your age. Muscle bulk, physical stamina, years to practice, etc. etc. etc.

(When I was 30, I was lucky to do the 16 that you do now, so I'm not talking out of jealousy.)

O.K. set 77 as your goal, but damn, don't feel like a loser because you didn't hit it.

Miss a realistic goal, and then you have a problem.

If you'd like a suggestion as to what to aspire to, (yes, I'm predjudiced, because this was MINE) To be in the top 10% of anything, anyone cares to measure.

And if I was NOT in the top 10%, it was because I choose NOT to participate.

Top 10 draft dodgers.

Top ten arsholes.

Top ten hopheads.

Top ten losers.

No, I missed them all, because I chose NOT to compete.

HOWEVER, on the attributes that I want to be remembered for, I would like to place in the top 10%.

I'm still working on it. (And like to think I'm getting somewhere.)

Mike Farrell
Cagayan de Oro
Philippines

Seeley
11-25-02, 10:04 AM
I see what you mean. I think I came across the wrong way here but what I was trying to say is that I only hope to improve in all that I do so that my best is always more than it was before.

Darwins Greed
11-26-02, 03:21 AM
Hey man, I know how you feel though, I enlisted almost six months ago, and my max pull ups when I graduated were around six, and my crunches were a measley 48 or something like that. nowadays, I'm pushing 10-15 pullups (kudos to you 16) and can do 185+ crunches in the two minute time limit(on a good day of course). quite a difference for me actually. I agree though any improvement is definitley a step in the right direction.
Over.
(soon to be) PFC Birchett

Seeley
11-26-02, 05:09 PM
Wow thats a lot of situps good job :). I can get about 100-115 average but I'm working on that too. I do flutter kicks while taking my breaks between sets when I lift. I don't just do regular flutter kicks either, I put my hands on my stomach rather than underneath me and that seems to be helping a lot.

Sniperone
11-27-02, 06:30 PM
Holy Ghillie suit Batman, that is alot of pull-ups! I won our field meet in 1983 with a total of 57 pull-ups, but 76 is a outstanding effort. There was a Colonel at Camp Gieger that did like 88 at one time and I think that is the USMC record, but don't quote me on that.

Nerdbird
05-15-06, 05:38 AM
I am no record holder but now I am 67 years old and still doing over 35 pull ups twice a week. Sometimes I do three sets of 35, 25 and 20 in the gym. My personal best is 44 pull ups in one set several years ago. So the message is if you keep at it you can maintain your arm strength into your senior years. I started doing pull ups regularly when I was around 39 years old. At the time I was able to do only 9. It took years to build that up to my current level.

:banana:

Lorix
05-18-06, 09:05 PM
76 pull-ups, is that all? I can beat that! Ok, I'll give him one, lol.

PFTstud
05-23-06, 03:40 PM
My 25 looks like total crap now.

Smalcom
05-23-06, 04:39 PM
47 THIS LAST WEEK... this guy gives me all the moto in the world. I bow to his pullup greatness. :)

goat
05-23-06, 10:01 PM
Outstanding!!!!!

PFTstud
05-24-06, 11:59 AM
You don't get a promotion for that though do you?

He deserves some kind of award in my opinion.

Accord
05-26-06, 06:25 PM
You don't get a promotion for that though do you?

He deserves some kind of award in my opinion.
The company high shooter and company high PFT receive meritorious promotions to PFC. But it's moot in this case, considering he graduated company honorman and as a Lance Corporal.

PFTstud
05-26-06, 08:34 PM
Wait, the highest PFT in a company gets promoted? Thats good news because I wasn't getting a 300 PFT, lol. The running is holding me back.

Accord
05-26-06, 08:37 PM
Wait, the highest PFT in a company gets promoted? Thats good news because I wasn't getting a 300 PFT, lol. The running is holding me back.
If you go to http://www.mcrdsd.usmc.mil every single graduation they update the main page with the company, series and platoon honormen as well as the company high PFT and company high shooter - every single time they're promoted to PFC, with the exception of the company honor man who is promoted to LCpl.

USMCgrunt0331
05-27-06, 01:13 PM
In my company the company iron man didn't get promoted, he was a contract PFC and stayed that way. Your SDI I think determines who gets meritoriously promoted, in our platoon it was the 4 squad leaders, and of course our guide who was also company honor man if I remember correctly. PFTstud, you're not always going to get an award for great achievements, you may not even get recognized for them all the time, and you'll almost never get promoted for one. It's not like the navy where you get a ribbon just for firing a certain weapon, or others where you get a ribbon just for completing bootcamp. If you have to always be recognized for what you do, you're going to be a bitter Marine. Like they said, Marine Corps isn't about individuality, it's about the overall mission. Getting 200 pull-ups and a 10 minute 3 mile won't get you promoted, winning a meritorious board or meeting your requirements such as cutting score and time in rank does.

Ignition
06-17-06, 07:05 PM
shooting a 250 will though (i believe).... work on them marksmanship skills

Old Marine
06-18-06, 08:52 AM
Company Honor Man, never heard of it..........

Maybe you guys are thinking of Series Honor Man or maybe they changed it to Company Honor Man.

marinegreen
06-23-06, 08:03 PM
shooting a 250 will though (i believe).... work on them marksmanship skills

chit that well get ya a gold shooters badge,ask to be on MC rifle team and promoted:yes: , I missed by 4 in oki bac in 77

lifer1369
07-10-06, 02:01 PM
How'd he do after the pull-ups,(did he get his 80 in 2 min's; and have used all that energy did he still make the 3mile's under 18 min? I was doing 1st class pft's with 20 and 80 when i retired and making the 3 mile run under 21min's... still fit and kicking...

E5 Gautier
07-31-06, 10:53 PM
We all know it's a matter of physical maturity and training of the muscle groups. When I was in boot camp I was a skinny kid (145). I maxed everything but I did not stand out like I would have in my thirties. Like this great recruit, my peak was later. Sure wish I had had it back then!!! My advice would be NOT to build to much bulk. That will slow you. Lean mean muscle is the answer, in my opinion. I'll be 53 next week and I'm in better condition than any of the guys I work with half my age. Now if i could only find that damn neighborhood dog to keep chasing me I might get back under 20 min for 3 miles!!!

:iwo:

J-Ro
07-31-06, 11:06 PM
I am no record holder but now I am 67 years old and still doing over 35 pull ups twice a week. Sometimes I do three sets of 35, 25 and 20 in the gym. My personal best is 44 pull ups in one set several years ago. So the message is if you keep at it you can maintain your arm strength into your senior years. I started doing pull ups regularly when I was around 39 years old. At the time I was able to do only 9. It took years to build that up to my current level.

:banana:

Damm, nerdbird!!! at 67 doing three sets of 35 (AMAZING) your the MAN...:cool:

E5 Gautier
07-31-06, 11:13 PM
Damm, nerdbird!!! at 67 doing three sets of 35 (AMAZING) your the MAN...:cool:

He is the man! Hobbies are: Hiking and pullups at 67............
:thumbup:

AdamA
09-05-09, 08:44 PM
Summer of 1982, at MCRD San Diego, I slipped off the pull up bar at 54 pull ups, two shy of the record at that time. Those two pull ups that I didn't do have haunted me ever since.

70, however, is a long, long way from 56. That guy was a machine.

josephd
09-25-09, 06:54 PM
hmmmm....thought this should be updated!

I dont remember his name but he graduated with Kilo Co. this last January from MCRDSD, if I remember right he did 131 pull ups

Lisa 23
09-26-09, 08:57 AM
hmmmm....thought this should be updated!

I dont remember his name but he graduated with Kilo Co. this last January from MCRDSD, if I remember right he did 131 pull ups

Up until AdamA's post on 9/5/09, this thread hasn't been posted in in 2 years.
And just in case you haven't noticed, the original post of this thread is almost 7 years old.

josephd
09-26-09, 03:21 PM
Up until AdamA's post on 9/5/09, this thread hasn't been posted in in 2 years.
And just in case you haven't noticed, the original post of this thread is almost 7 years old.

exactly the reason I decided to post in here and update it

polizei
09-27-09, 01:44 PM
The current record is set by (then I assume) PFC Collin Bell, at 131.

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2009/01/ann_arbor_man_sets_pullup_reco.html

josephd
09-28-09, 03:29 AM
The current record is set by (then I assume) PFC Collin Bell, at 131.

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2009/01/ann_arbor_man_sets_pullup_reco.html

yep....he would only be a Lance now, he graduated a company ahead of me..he is a machine!

FattyTheFerret
02-09-10, 05:39 PM
went to MOS school in Meridian with Bell

good guy, very friendly. nearly passed out the first time he tried to dip before we went on a trip to a rodeo :lol:

SgtBoyed
03-09-10, 09:47 PM
He was my Platoon Guide in bootcamp...I think his record was broken though. Anyway, I remember our DIs had him practicing like every night. He actually did more during his practice sessions.