PDA

View Full Version : Local young man earns honor for his dedication

thedrifter
02-13-06, 06:26 AM
Local young man earns honor for his dedication
By BECKY LOCK-block@sungazette.com

Karate is the cornerstone of Glen Murchinson’s life.

The 18-year-old Williamsport Area High School senior has been a student of grand master Anthony Dew for nearly 13 years.

He signed on for lessons at Anthony’s Karate Dojo at 333 W. Fourth St. when he was 5, encouraged in the physical and mental activity by his parents, Denise and Roylon Smith.

“You get to learn lots of stuff, different ways to view the world,” Murchinson, of 1147 Louisa St., said Wednesday.

As of Feb. 3, he is viewing the world as an inductee in the World Hall of Fame Martial Arts. He was named the most dedicated martial artist of the year during a competition in Jamaica, N.Y.

“It caught me off guard,” Murchinson said of the award and subsequent induction.

While there, he also won second place in the forms portion of the competition, in which participants perform various movements that are mostly used in defense.

“Glen is such a great kid and he’s worked so hard,” said Gladys Sanchez, dojo administrator. “He is a positive role model for the kids.”

Taking part in the world competition, which drew martial artists of many levels, was a good experience, Murchinson said.

“I like meeting new people and learning from every style,” he said. “It was a very fun experience being around some old-timers.”

He usually practices with Dew at least twice a week and goes in more often to polish his forms and complete a physical workout, he said.

His discipline will come in handy later this year, when he plans to enlist in the Marine Corps, he said, adding that he has been a member of the Young Marines for four years.

He said he hopes to open his own martial arts school, or dojo, after he retires from the military. Perhaps he even will return to continue Dew’s school, he said.

Dew, 56, is beginning a class for children but wants to turn the actual instruction over to Murchinson and classmate Taji Durham.

“If we can instill discipline at an early age,” Dew said, “(children) will have alternatives. Children are so precious. They’re like sponges.”

As a child, Murchinson continued nonstop with his karate training for about seven years, until he was 12. He quit for a year to explore new activities and deal with the challenges of middle school.

“We didn’t want any resentment, so we made it his choice,” Murchinson’s father said.

Murchinson took advantage of the break to play football and baseball and just “be a kid,” Smith said.

“I had a feeling that it (martial arts) was calling me back,” Murchinson said. He said he often walked past Dew’s dojo and, one day, walked through the door and came back.

Returning to the activity was “harder physically but not mentally,” he said. “I had a passion to train. I spent one year focused on kickboxing and another year on self-defense.”

His advice for children who are thinking about learning karate is this: “Stay open-minded and be very humble. Open up to different views.”

Murchinson’s parents said they are pleased with the choices their son has made.

“I’m so proud of him,” Smith said. “It is a great accomplishment. He’s got a good head on his shoulders.

Ellie