PDA

View Full Version : High honor

thedrifter
02-13-06, 06:23 AM
High honor
Monday, February 13, 2006

BY KATE HAWLEY

OF THE JOURNAL STAR
A Blandinsville man who died trying to save a fellow Marine from drowning received the highest honor for a Marine not directly engaged in combat.

Cpl. Joshua D. Palmer, 24, was posthumously awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Medal at a ceremony Sunday at the Naval and Marine Corps Reserve Center in Bellevue. His parents, Doug and Carol Palmer, accepted.

"I'm glad he was honored," said his mother afterward. "He always gave his all to everything."

Cpl. Palmer was building fighting positions in Fallujah, Iraq, on Nov. 8, 2004, when the ground beneath the bulldozer he was driving gave way, sending the Caterpillar Inc.-built D7 bulldozer and another man, Lance Cpl. Jeffrey Lam, 22, of Queens, New York, into the Euphrates River.

Palmer climbed out of the flooded cab of his bulldozer onto the roof. He took off his body armor, put down his M-70 grenade launcher and leapt into the water, hoping to save Lam. Both men died.

At the ceremony, U.S. Rep. Ray LaHood, R-Peoria, lauded Palmer's sacrifice.

"To the parents of Josh, we offer our deep sympathy and our deep thanks," he said. "He was concerned enough about his fellow military personnel that he was willing to offer his own life."

La Hood said that "service above self" is the nature of a Marine's job. In his many encounters with soldiers recently returned from Iraq and Afghanistan, he said, "I've never heard one word of criticism or whining or complaining."

Eric Schuler, a representative from Lt. Gov. Pat Quinn's office, said that although he didn't know Palmer, "I think I can sum up who Josh was in three words: United States Marine."

Palmer's friends and family, many of them wearing buttons bearing the image of Palmer in uniform, looked on as LaHood and Schuler spoke, and 142 Marines from Company C, 6th Engineering Support Battalion stood in formation.

The bond between Marines is often "closer than husband and wife," said Schuler. Palmer, he added, was known for his devotion to his comrades.

After the ceremony, uniformed men mingled with Palmer's friends and family, exchanging hugs and admiring the medal. Palmer's aunt, Janet Wear of Carthage, fought back tears.

"When Josh left, I said watch your back," she said. "He said he didn't have to."

Kate Hawley can be reached at 686-3254 or khawley@pjstar.com.

Ellie