PDA

View Full Version : Troops coming and going

thedrifter
02-12-06, 09:01 AM
Troops coming and going
February 12,2006
CHRIS MAZZOLINI
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Trenton VanBoening — perhaps a future lieutenant in the making — was ready for his dad to come home from Iraq.

The 19-month-old boy was decked out in his own pair of desert cammies, the same kind his father — 1st. Lt. Simon VanBoening — wears when he’s in the field with his unit, 2nd Battalion, 2nd Marines.

For the last seven months, 2/2 has been fighting near Fallujah. But now, that’s all over. During the weekend, the entire battalion — roughly 900 strong — is returning to Camp Lejeune.

They aren’t the only ones on a weekend of comings and goings. With about 13,000 Marines and sailors scheduled to return to Lejeune in the coming weeks, there were a number of homecomings this weekend and some scheduled for early next week. Across the base, others were leaving for Iraq Saturday.

Homecoming

About 100 Marines with II Marine Expeditionary Force returned on Saturday. Today, more Marines from 2/2, including the commanding officer, are returning. On Monday, about 240 Marines with Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron-26 will be back after nearly a year in Iraq.

Saturday, when a large chunk of 2/2 returned, the gray skies and heavy rain did little to dampen the spirits of the families waiting for them.

“It’s exciting,” said Susan VanBoening, Trenton’s mother. “Trenton just ran through a bunch of puddles and I don’t really care because my spouse is getting home. It’s been stressful and I’m just relieved that it’s over.”

The Warlords of 2/2 saw a good deal of action. Sixteen Marines were killed in the seven months they were deployed. Those names adorned a blanket hanging inside Goettge Memorial Fieldhouse, where the families waited.

Maj. Chris Dixon, 2/2’s executive officer who returned a couple of weeks ago with an advance party, said homecomings are sort of bittersweet: there’s joy, but also remembrance of those that were lost.

“You come home, you’re excited to see your family,” he said. “You are happy that you survived, but remember those we lost. That will sit with us forever.”

Terri Foley, the mother of 2/2’s Cpl. David Foley, said prayer got her through the deployment.

“I can wait to put my arms around him,” she said, choking back tears.

She didn’t have to wait long. Four buses pulled up, shouts and cheers rang out. After that, the rain bothered no one.

VanBoening, who played with Trenton on the fieldhouse bleachers, said he was relieved to be home with his wife and son.

“It’s a relief just to see them and not worry about anything happening to them,” said VanBoening.

Foley, after seeing her son again, said words couldn’t describe the way she felt.

“My heart, my heart,” she said. “You can’t put it into words. It’s a mother’s love.”

Some going, too

Across Lejeune, at Michelangelo’s Pizza, the dreary weather found a better match. There, about 130 Marines with 2nd Transportation Support Battalion were saying goodbye to their families before heading to Iraq for seven months.

They aren’t the only group leaving in the next few days either. Marine Light/ Attack Helicopter Squadron-269 are heading out on Sunday to Iraq’s Al Anbar Province for the next six months.

Lance Cpl. Marcus Bailey with 2nd TSB, was saying goodbye to his wife, Amy, for the second time. He said leaving when most guys are coming home is part of being a Marine.

“It’s just the way it goes,” he said.

Lance Cpl. Ryan Harrington and his wife, Crystal, have an extra reason to be sad: Crystal is pregnant with their first child. Harrington said he hopes he’s back by the baby’s due date in September.

“He got to see the first ultrasound and saw the heart beat, so that was nice,” she said. “I think (deployment) is a little easier this time. It’s harder in a different way. Last time, I didn’t know what to expect. This time I do.”

Harrington said it was a little strange leaving when most area Marines are coming home.

“But my turn will come,” he said.

Contact staff writer Chris Mazzolini at cmazzolini@freedomenc.com or 353-1171, ext. 229.