PDA

View Full Version : 'That's The Ticket'

thedrifter
02-11-06, 09:35 AM
02/07/2006
'That's The Ticket'
By: Joe O'Loughlin

Like millions of other Americans, I played the PowerBall this past week. My reasons for playing were probably like those of many other folks. Concerns about the job, the future outlook for my company and the overall economy. The continual frustration in the battle to stay ahead of expenses.

The multitude of things I wish we could afford, either monetarily and\or time-wise, to do around the house. Finally, financial freedom would enable me to spend more time, time with real energy, not the tired, dragging dregs and vestiges of it that are left over after meeting responsibilities and duties with family, friends and writing. Ah, if I only held the winning ticket -- my problems would be solved.

After purchasing what I hoped would be the golden ducat, I headed out to have dinner with a good friend and mentor of mine. Rich is a wise person who has run a successful business, became a published writer and respected writing teacher; most importantly, he is a good husband and father to two sons.

We had not gotten together for a few months so it was a time to catch up. I spoke of my feelings of frustration as to how my dreams of achieving more success in writing and bringing more stability to my life. It seemed to be more and more difficult to achieve.

Rich then related what one of his sons told him after Rich's Dad's funeral. "Ari told me that of all the things I accomplished that my main role in life and one that I was very successful at was to be a great husband and Dad. He told me that my late father would be very proud of the son he raised. And you know what, Ari was right.

It is important to work for your dreams like writing and finding a way to support your family, either by those dreams or if need be, by doing a different 'day job.' But in the end result, if you are a good person and love your wife, Bobbie, and your daughter, Kellie, as I know you do, you do right by them. You are a success. And whatever happens to the rest of it, whether you make the New York Times best seller list or not, isn't really important."

Rich's wisdom was exactly what I needed to hear at a time when, like many of us, life seemed a bit daunting and overwhelming. I thanked my buddy for his kindness.

When it came time to split the dinner bill I reached into my wallet and there right next to the lottery ticket were the pictures of my wife and daughter that I carry with me. When I purchased the ticket I had just jammed it into my wallet quickly so as not to lose it.

How ironic it was located next to the photos of the two most precious treasures of my life.

Coincidence? I think not. A higher power was at work on this evening, bringing together a confluence of a wise friend and the search for the winning ticket of life. As we all know I, nor anyone else, hit the winning jackpot that night. However, as I looked up those pictures in my wallet I realized that I held the winning tickets all along.

Ellie