PDA

View Full Version : Return to the World!

lovdog
02-10-06, 10:39 PM
My son just returned today from Afghanistan - he's with the Air Force Security Forces - a six month tour. While he was there he provided the security for the Army and Marine Interrigators in some of the villages in the north. He was in Korea for a year before this. Still has a year & 1/2 half yet on a 9 year enlistment. They already told them before they left the states that they could be sent anywhere on a moments notice - I hope Iraq is not in the future (spoken like a parent), but if it is, I know he will do his duty just like all the rest. He has had some pretty good training in the Air Force as far as terrorist training & such and I know that he can take care of himself. If Iraq comes, then we will all deal with it I guess, just like all of us that have sons & daughters and loved ones that have to be in harms way. Haven't got to see him yet, his base is about 6 hours away, but I think they give them about 10 days to get situated again once they return. It'll be nice to sit down at the pub & listen to "his" war stories instead of me telling him mine!! Ha. I wish all of you well, and hope your sons & daughters come back safe like mine did. SF

Osotogary
02-11-06, 12:45 AM
Well, lovdog, that's terrific news. Both of my sons are now on U.S. soil and although we don't see each other frequently for geographic reasons, it sure is nice knowing that they are here. Tell your son for me "thanks" for the job he is doing and has done. Sitting down with him has got to be one of the best things that you will ever do. Good for you.
Adios from South Florida.
Gary

rsta
02-11-06, 04:40 AM
Great news that he's home and I know you're anxious to sit down with him. Express to him the thanks from this end for a job well done.

thedrifter
02-11-06, 07:12 AM
Great News

Ellie

Wyoming
02-11-06, 08:35 AM

That's cool, Dog.

Maybe you could relate some of his stories here.

Tell us about the 'Air Force Security Services'.

Semper Fi to your Son, and yourself.

OLE SARG
02-11-06, 08:46 AM
Just got word that my Grandson (Brandon) will get to come back to the World around the 1st of March. He's going to be glad to get out of the sandbox.

SEMPER FI,
OLE SARG

Osotogary
02-11-06, 07:03 PM
That's terrific news as well OLE SARG. Hang in there, March is right around the corner.

lovdog
02-12-06, 12:33 PM
Thats great to hear that all of your loved ones are okay so far too. I finally got to talk to my son yesterday afternoon for an hour or so on the phone. He is doing pretty good - just trying to get situated again. He said that he would have rather stayed in Afghanistan than go back to Dover AFB. But, after talking to him for 1/2 hour I think he will be going to Iraq next. I tried to slip this into a conversation with my wife later - that is always fun! It was traumatic when she found out he was going to Afghanistan let alone Iraq! But, he's a man now, and will pretty much do what he wants I guess, irregardless of what parents say.
A box arrived yesterday also - he sent some of his personal things back and there was a flag inside that he got for me. It had a certificate inside made out to me that this flag was flown over Basram Air Base and was also carried inside an A10 Warhog on a couple of missions. That was really cool - I even got a little choked up - what a gift!! Sometimes these kids can really amaze you!!
I have to admit, I didn't really want him to join the Marines, and I've always pushed him to get a good education, so I thought the Air Force would serve him best. Even when he was growing up, I was never comfortable even having guns in the house (although I owned a few), and pretty much kept him away from firearms. Well, I guess my wife had something to do with with this also. He was always so involved in sports that he wasn't that interested in guns, hunting or shooting. Next thing I know - he joins the Air Force Security Forces - has all kinds of weapons training, self defense, boxing and terrorist training, carries a 9mm and a rifle!! I guess I should have just put him in the Marines to begin with!! Go figure!! Has really done well in the Air Force - won the John Levitow Award a couple of years ago - weighs about 206 and bench presses 325 lbs, and has 10 times the intelligence of his old man!! I wanted him to go to OCS but he is now planning to get out after he finishes his 9 years. Wants to become a US Marshall, and also, he will be able to carry his military pension over.
Its nice to have them home isn't it - just remember, if and when they go back to the war zones, don't forget to give them a big hug!! I'll tell him that you all said well done!! SF

GySgtRet
02-12-06, 12:58 PM
lovedog,

This is truly great news. Tell your son thanks from me for his great job and efforts for freedom.

GySgtRet
02-12-06, 12:59 PM
OLE SARG,

Compared to what your son had been doing March 1st is just around the corner. Have a great reunion. And please tell him thank you from me...!!!

rb1651
02-12-06, 01:05 PM
lovedog,

As others have said, this is great news and tell him thanks for his service to our country. I'll be joining the ranks of other parents who have children in the military, as my daughter has signed her enlistment papers to the Air Force as of yesterday. She leaves in June, right after she completes high school. May not be the Marines, but I'm still darn proud.

redneck13
02-12-06, 01:06 PM
"Awerightay!!" This is some great News lovdog, you ol' war hound. LOL.....Kids? You gotta love 'em. We as Old Salt's think we got all the answer's sometimes, and we try to make our kids see and go the right way. Then they find themselves, just like we did. That was some kind of good "present" your Son gave you. It's his way of sayin'..."Pop?" "I'm proud you taught me good." SF

Wyoming
02-12-06, 01:44 PM

Its nice to have them home isn't it - just remember, if and when they go back to the war zones, don't forget to give them a big hug!! I'll tell him that you all said well done!! SF

Make sure you put Big Al's name up there at the top somewhere, saying, "Well done!!!".

lovdog
02-12-06, 06:25 PM
Thanks to all!! I'll be sure to tell him about all of you and your best wishes!! I'll be like Santa Claus - makein' a list & checkin' it twice, so I can get all of your handles!! He'll sure appreciate it I know - cause it'll come from Marines!! He already knows how crazy I can get and I already warned him that you guys are twice as bad!!! LOL!! Like some of you with your kids, grandkids & loved ones, I don't get to see much of him, but when I do its nice to just sit & talk - try to make the day count!! Let them know that we're proud of them whenever we can - after all, they are the security of our nation and the future of the generations to come. Alot of us here were the "baby boomer" generation, kinda got a bad rap from the 50's & 60's because of all the turmoil caused back then, but you'll have to admit, we did produce one fine military that can "take it to anyone, anywhere and anytime"!! SF

redneck13
02-13-06, 06:08 PM
:banana: :yes: lovdog? Is there any way you could put a picture of your Son on here? I think we'd like to see him. You're so right about us Baby Boomer's. Dad gum, I hate that name!! I wish I was there to give your Son, or other's a big hug, from a crazy Jarhead. You know our similarites, we've talked about between us. I just can't say it enough to him. "SON?" "THANK YOU, THANK YOU FOR YOUR COURAGE, YOUR COMMITTMENT TO DEFEND US, THANK YOU FOR BEING WHO YOU ARE, GOD BLESS YOU, AND ALL WHO DEFEND US. WELCOME HOME BROTHER!!