PDA

View Full Version : Need info on Cuban Missile Crisis

JRtheSTAR
11-24-02, 06:14 AM
I have a member of my MCL detachment that wants to join my VFW post. He says he deployed for Cuba during the crisis. The Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal was awarded to Marines that went there. Also seems like some were also awarded the Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal but not sure. Either one of these medals would make him eligable. His DD-214 does not show either one of the medals. He was released from active duty in May 64 and his MOS was 2761- Radio Relay Tech. What I'm trying to figure out is were the medals awarded after he got out. That would explain them not being on his DD-214. He doesn't seem like the kind that would B.S. about this. Can anyone shead a little light on this?

Havelka
11-24-02, 08:10 AM
The Marine Corps Expedtionary Medal was awarded to the Cuban Missle Crisis.
If it's not on his 214 you need to write to that records place at Hdqts Marine Corps,or write to Marine Corps Military Awards
(MMMA) 3280 Russell Rd. Quantico,Va. 22134-5103
Phone # 703-784 9206/07.
You'll be requesting an up dated DD 215 Box 50....
Be prepared to give your total history of that time.
Unit,Ship you were on,and anything else you can remember.
Don't give up on those Government employee's.
It might take a couple of attempts. Good Luck
S/F Gy Havelka

MillRatUSMC
11-24-02, 09:10 AM
Holy Shinola!
I rate another medal!
One that I knew nothing about.
We were under the impression that no medals were awarded because the russkies blinked and no shots were fired.
Seems that I'll need to upgrade my DD 214 to DD 215
So he must be telling the truth.
In his SRB there must be an entry on ships traveled during 1962 especially October and November of 1962.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

Havelka
11-24-02, 09:31 AM
:marine:
Ricardo,

I was with 2nd.Recon, We boarded an APA and wound up in Cuba,This was about Feb 1962,we stayed down there for a couple of months on Vieques,That was early in the crisis,
Yes you probably do rate the MCEM or the AFEM.
Be specific with your history with an authoritative manner.

Were neighbors I live in Chicagoland.Stay well ,Semper Fi
:marine:

Kenneth Havelka
06-19-10, 09:38 PM
Ricardo,
I too was with 2nd Recon in Cuba.The Plt/Sgt was Sgt S.E.Jordan:flag:

USNAviator
06-19-10, 09:58 PM
Ricardo,
I too was with 2nd Recon in Cuba.The Plt/Sgt was Sgt S.E.Jordan:flag:

With all due respect Gunny, this thread is 8 years old. Perhaps some of the participants email addresses are still valid. Check out who posted before you, maybe they are still around

Good luck

Dan

oniram
03-02-18, 04:53 PM
I was awarded The Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for our mount out under JFK, It was not noted on my DD 214 - In fact I had forgotten all about the ribbon until a week ago when cleaning out my closet and found it in my green uniform pocket along w/my CC ribbon.