PDA

View Full Version : Wounded vets mingle with blind folks, seeing eye dogs

thedrifter
02-10-06, 07:04 PM
Wounded vets mingle with blind folks, seeing eye dogs
MCRD San Diego
Story by: Pvt. Charlie Chavez

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO(Feb. 10, 2006) -- Laughter, smiles and good company from man and beast filled the air at the Canine Corners Dog Park in La Mesa, Calif. Feb. 2.

A new program called Paws for Healing made it possible for four depot Marines from Naval Medical Center San Diego to spend an afternoon with 12 blind people and their canine companions.

The idea for the program was initiated when an injured service member at NMCSD approached Anne E. Whittington, a diabetes program manager at NMCSD, and asked her to pet her seeing-eye dog.

“He had a stutter and it would have just broken my heart to say no, so I let him pet my dog,” said Whittington. “Almost immediately his stutter went away.”

Whittington, sparked with curiosity by the therapeutic aspects of interaction between her dog and injured service members, began letting her dog visit injured Marines on a regular occurrence.

Soon the regular visits developed into letting Marines come along to the dog park, according to Whittington.

Marines that accompanied the blind people to the park welcomed the chance to venture from the hospital and to take in the warm San Diego.

“I used to have two dogs at home, and I absolutely loved them. In the Marine Corps, you don’t get to have dogs around as much,” said Lance Cpl. Mike Calia. “It was definitely a lot of fun, and it has a therapeutic aspect.”

Inviting Marines to come along on the trips is something the blind people welcomed for the company and conversation.

“This is just something we can contribute to the military,” said Scott Leason, dog owner. “Marines see us as disabled, and they see how we live well, and they understand they can do the same.”

The day finished with the Marines serving everyone food and sitting together for lunch.

Ellie